• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do publishers decide which books get additional print runs?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I understand the concept of 2nd, 3rd, etc. printings at face value - if the first printing of a book sells very well, i.e. sells out, then it makes sense that the publisher would do subsequent printings. But there must be other factors that go into it, right? For example, books like Batman 423, 445, 457, 497, some others in that era, etc. all have at least a 2nd print, and sometimes more. But books like the Year One run (404-407), the Death in the Family run (426-429) and others - they don't have multiple printings as far as I'm aware, even though they were super popular when they came out. I know there are examples in other titles as well.

Does it come down to distribution channels (like multipacks and things), or is there something else that goes into it as well? Just something that struck me as curious, and I assume there are some experts on this board with insights.

On 4/8/2024 at 4:52 PM, Qalyar said:

Runs like Death in the Family probably didn't need 2nd printings because DC knew that was a pushed, high-profile story arc; they very likely had higher print runs from the start.

That's not true. There was demand for reprinting the Death in the Family issues, but DC's solution was to instead quickly release a TPB, which was definitely not common practice at that time.

Ultimately, it came down to demand (from the distributors) and willingness (from the publishers). For decades in the industry, reprints were extremely rare. In the earlier years of direct distribution, publishers were still reluctant to immediately reprint due to the success of individual issues. By the 90s, that reluctance had disappeared, though it did pop up again occasionally.

Special printings for things like multipacks were a different thing.

On 4/8/2024 at 6:41 PM, Lazyboy said:

That's not true. There was demand for reprinting the Death in the Family issues, but DC's solution was to instead quickly release a TPB, which was definitely not common practice at that time.

Ultimately, it came down to demand (from the distributors) and willingness (from the publishers). For decades in the industry, reprints were extremely rare. In the earlier years of direct distribution, publishers were still reluctant to immediately reprint due to the success of individual issues. By the 90s, that reluctance had disappeared, though it did pop up again occasionally.

Special printings for things like multipacks were a different thing.

Mea culpa. That's what I get for speculating about books I don't collect. :tonofbricks:

Ramping up the run on issues that are expected to be of particular interest, however, is certainly something that has occurred. Just... not on those books, it seems!