• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[THREAD CLOSED - BACK WITH NEW THREAD END OF WEEK] WWII Work of Comic and Newspaper Strip Artists
3 3

57 posts in this topic

THREAD CLOSED!

Page 1

Caniff - 1943 Burma Pin-Up Customized for Military Base - TAKEN OFF TO BE RELISTED LATER

Capp - Lil' Abner Training/Propganda Poster 3 foot x 4 foot - SOLD!

Eisner - 1942 Joe Dope Poster - STILL AVAILABLE for $450 $365 or Best Offer!

Page 2

Various - 1945 Cartoons for Fighters PB - SOLD!

Mauldin - 1943 Sicily Sketch Book - SOLD!

Page 3

Seuss - 1943 This is Ann Overseas Edition Poster - $1,500 $990 or best offer. Ok, ok, that first price was high. Especially, since I think you should linen back this thing.

Sickles - 1944 poster and bonus - $550 $375 or best offer. Discounted to allow funding of linen backing if that's what buyer desires.

CANIFF SUSPENDED!

What were comic book and newspaper strip creators doing during WWII? 

Well, like a lot of Americans, many served in the military or helped out the war effort on the home front. Some even did both. And a fair number used their artistic skills in the effort.

This sales thread is going to offer WWII items with art by some of the legends of the industry - artists from both newspapers and comics. The offerings are going to include posters (were their posters by GA greats during WWII? Yes!), rare publications, books, and more. 

This is a sales thread for folks who feel patriotic about WWII, appreciate great art by the masters of the 1930s and 1940s, perhaps want to put art on their walls not just in a cold dark box, or like rarities. Hopefully, this thread will have some surprises for you. And for you lurkers, hopefully you'll learn something from the write-ups. 

TERMS: 

First "take" wins. I am open to offers on all items, so feel free to PM me. But first "take" wins. So if you want to make an offer, make it quick and don't be surprised if I wait a bit to see if I get a "take" first. If you really really want an item, just say "take." 

Buyer pays actual shipping cost including insurance for full purchase price. If you have your own collectibles insurance and want me to ship under your shipping label, that's fine. For this auction, I anticipate that all shipping will be by USPS flat rate medium box. You can propose an alternative shipping means, but I get a right of reasonable refusal if I'm uncomfortable with the means. 

I prefer payment by check, m.o., wire, Zell or equivalent; however, I am open to other options.

I will generally take a return if notified within 3 days of delivery.

Notably unique or exceedingly rare items are hard to value. A lot of buyers want the comfort of comparable sales. You might not get it for some pieces on this thread. Buyers of notably unique or exceedingly rare items from me on this site include SOTIcollector. I can provide other references, including of five figure items, if desired. I have no doubt that none regret their purchases.

Edited by sfcityduck

Posted (edited)

From impossible to find to impossibly big:

SOLD!

This piece is just a gateway drug. An impossibly big 3 foot by 4 foot propaganda poster featuring a special Lil' Abner strip on military courtesy:

IMG_1591.thumb.jpg.8e5d0024cb616b50203b9353a2d7ed46.jpg

For context, that suitcase above the image is a full size wheel-aboard. Each of those panels are 7" by 6". It is huge!

But, as you can see, the condition is not museum quality. It has some tears and creases. But if you want to dip your foot into this exciting area of comic and cartoon adjacent collecting, then this is a great way to do it. 

Price:  SOLD!!

For this a mere $36.00 or best offer. This is your chance to start a new addiction at a very inexpensive price. My gift to someone. Don't worry, there are more items in line which will not be so inexpensive.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 4/10/2024 at 9:30 PM, sfcityduck said:

From impossible to find to impossibly big:

This piece is just a gateway drug. An impossibly big 3 foot by 4 foot propaganda poster featuring a special Lil' Abner strip on military courtesy:

IMG_1591.thumb.jpg.8e5d0024cb616b50203b9353a2d7ed46.jpg

For context, that suitcase above the image is a full size wheel-aboard. Each of those panels are 7" by 6". It is huge!

But, as you can see, the condition is not museum quality. It has some tears and creases. But if you want to dip your foot into this exciting area of comic and cartoon adjacent collecting, then this is a great way to do it. 

Price:

For this a mere $36.00 or best offer. This is your chance to start a new addiction at a very inexpensive price. My gift to someone. Don't worry, there are more items in line which will not be so inexpensive.

I’ll take it

On 4/10/2024 at 6:44 PM, SpideyFein said:

I’ll take it

Congrats! This is how the dealers hook you!
PM me your shipping info and payment preference. I may not get back to you until tomorrow a.m. if you don't mind.

On 4/10/2024 at 9:47 PM, sfcityduck said:
Congrats! This is how the dealers hook you!
PM me your shipping info and payment preference. I may not get back to you until tomorrow a.m. if you don't mind.

You got it. I think this is going up in my garage depending upon how it fits. Thank you!

Posted (edited)

PRICE CUT TO $365 or best offer!

Here's a message for our friend who just bought the "gateway drug" piece from Will Eisner:

"Don't be a dope!"

Yep, next up is a very early poster by Will Eisner. He did the "Joe Dope" series of posters for the US Govt. from 1942-1944 and its sort of neat that his rank increases in his signature. But what we have here is one of his earliest 1942 posters signed "Pvt. Will Eisner." These are what collectors of GA artists WWII work are looking for:

IMG_1592.thumb.jpg.c6afc5718644b065cedfe326a6643274.jpg

IMG_1593.thumb.jpg.06be4c22de19bcd6ed17ad849fe04bb7.jpg

This poster is 82 years old and was a working poster displayed at camp, base, or where ever it would do some good. Like most of the original posters (which I guarantee this is), it has pin holes in the corners. It is 14" x 18" (the fakes usually aren't) and is on the right paper stock. But this is one is a cut above others I've seen as it has square corners, bright colors, and looks vibrant. For display, I would probably give thought to a linen back. The only flaw really worth noting is a repair: A prior owner, probably in the distant past, applied two cellophane tear seals to preclude small rips on the central horizontal crease from moving. These are applied to the back and they and the tear are not detectable from the front. Let me know if you want a photo.

This is really one of the most important grails for a collector of GA artists WWII work for a reason beyond just that it is by Will Eisner - it is so early in his Joe Dope career that Eisner was killing off Joe to make the point, or scare straight, the audience. Later on he let Joe live. And, indeed, the Joe Dope posters were a precursor to Eisner's years later PS Monthly project for the military.  

Really historically interesting, presents very well, hard to find.

Price: PRICE CUT TO $450 or best offer!  A steal at $500 or best offer.

Edited by sfcityduck

Posted (edited)

EDITED: Changed my mind. Too much to do tonight. I'll come back to that listing later. It deserves very serious attention.

I'll be here all week. Future offerings will include WWII work by Dr. Seuss (a poster I did not know existed) and Noel Sickles (a legendary output during WWII), and others. 

Edited by sfcityduck

On 4/10/2024 at 9:10 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I would assume Jack Kirby, but that seems too obvious...

Nope. He was busy fighting. There is only one major Timely artist I know of that did anything artistic for the war effort other than just draw comics. Curious if anyone has come across his work or any work by any other Timely artists. 

On 4/10/2024 at 11:25 PM, sfcityduck said:

Nope. He was busy fighting. There is only one major Timely artist I know of that did anything artistic for the war effort other than just draw comics. Curious if anyone has come across his work or any work by any other Timely artists. 

I knew Kirby was a recon scout during the war. Imagine - there could be now de-classified WW2 maps drawn by Kirby himself...

On 4/10/2024 at 8:26 PM, sfcityduck said:

Quick quiz: Can anyone here name a major Timely artist who did a WWII poster?

I wanna say Bill Everett, but that is definitely a guess. I feel like I saw Everett sigs on some pretty racy WWII posters before, but not sure that was Bill…

Posted (edited)

On 4/10/2024 at 10:12 PM, TheComicsPreacher said:

I wanna say Bill Everett, but that is definitely a guess. I feel like I saw Everett sigs on some pretty racy WWII posters before, but not sure that was Bill…

The only one I can locate is Paul Gustavson. But I'd kill for a Bill Everett poster.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 4/11/2024 at 1:58 AM, AJD said:

Great stuff Mr Duck. I hope you don't mind me linking something related in your thread. Here is a short about a famous B-17 that had some Caniff art on the nose "A bit o' Lace" (I've started it at the close ups of the art)

Bert Christman did nose art for his fellow flying Tiger pilots.