• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 Spain Production Error discovered
2 2

24 posts in this topic

I don't know the answer to this one. Two of the explanations put forward seem plausible (two black plates / ink marker pen) but it's hard to say without the book in hand. I've always been interested in the order that the plates are laid down. To my logical brain, the black K plate should be done last to 'seal' the image but others in this thread have suggested otherwise.

If we take a look at these two old Spidey's of mine, it looks to me like what shows as red on the cover appears to be sitting above the black in the right hand images:

108nds.thumb.jpg.84232d748d7c7434171fb5bf175e8f15.jpg 108pe.thumb.jpg.c54d284b387d38f15a7879af6c63dfb5.jpg

108ndsb.jpg.07fe32c5069f63b15465d305f125677c.jpg 108peb.jpg.4a5a5344a57cc0c2dc1878887e40a150.jpg

In the left hand images, the black K plate appears to have been applied last to 'frame' the image correctly. I'd love to hear an expert's take on what happened there.

Returning to the Spanish Spidey, the cover paper stock looks very glossy. Is it possible that a weak marker pen applied to the cover would not bleed through? If not, then the only explanation left is BriD's earlier double K plate error scenario (although I'm mindful of rjpb's thoughts on how how scruffy the curves are). 

Are they not tiny marker pen dots, along the top edge of the cover?

20240417_184257.thumb.jpg.85e4a3e7e96bc5addb8b460b239d9b18.jpg.c218504eb41dcded6aab234733718dc6.jpg

If so, that strengthens the argument that the marker pen has bled over the top edge, where there would be no gloss, but the gloss of the flat cover has prevented bleed through showing on the inside cover.

Am I talking rubbish? :bigsmile:

1. It is far more likely that in 1989 the printer used knockouts rather than white ink to achieve the white webbing and lettering. In which case it wouldn't matter which order plates were applied all the webbing and lettering would be visible.

2. The places where the black ink appears to "bite" into the red ink line up exactly where white webbing and lettering would cross from the black into the red.

3. That there is one area where the white webbing is still visible over black indicates the rest was colored over by hand, as does the faint visibility of some of the webbing and letters under the black. If it was a black ink overlay at the printer, why would that area be missed?

4. Black ink does not always bleed through cover stock, it depends on the marker, and quality of the paper coating. Sometimes when you hold a book with color touch at an angle with light reflecting on it, you can tell where black marker has been applied as its reflectivity differs from the black ink.

5. The black marks at the top also line up with where the white webbing would go to the top of the cover art.

As certain as I can be without holding the book in hand, all evidence points to the webbing being colored in with marker, and would be very surprised if CGC reversed their notation. It would be helpful if they were more specific about the where of color touch in their notes. 

On 4/23/2024 at 7:04 PM, rjpb said:

4. Black ink does not always bleed through cover stock, it depends on the marker, and quality of the paper coating. Sometimes when you hold a book with color touch at an angle with light reflecting on it, you can tell where black marker has been applied as its reflectivity differs from the black ink.

Be nice to hear if that's the case, yes.

On 4/23/2024 at 7:04 PM, rjpb said:

As certain as I can be without holding the book in hand, all evidence points to the webbing being colored in with marker, and would be very surprised if CGC reversed their notation. It would be helpful if they were more specific about the where of color touch in their notes. 

I love a production / printing error more than anyone, but that is the front runner for me here as things stand, without having the book in hand.