• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How in the world did this book get a 6.5?
4 4

24 posts in this topic

On 4/16/2024 at 9:26 AM, MatterEaterLad said:

Yes, you caught me. I totally made it up. :eyeroll:

Six years ago a friend's husband passed away and left her with a nice collection of SA books, including Hulk 1, and FF 1-5. I connected her with Steve when he was still at that other place and he went through her collection and recommended which ones to have graded (and he later graded them). About 18 months ago she decided to sell and both Steve and I recommended she have the books cross-graded to CGC cases, which we both felt would do better at auction (Steve had left the other place). The grades on all of her books came back .5 to 2.5 points lower. She was pretty upset, at Steve, at CGC, and basically the whole comic world, which she didn't know much about. Part of her frustration was because after she saw comic prices soar, they had plummeted by the time her books were sold. Steve's explanation to her was what I mentioned earlier. I'm not saying that's what's going on, but that's what he said. From the books I've had graded in the past two years, CGC definitely seems to be in one of their tighter grading periods. I hate that they've had such variance over the years. If I had the money to burn, I'd have a set of 100 books regraded each year to appraise the consistency/inconsistency of grading. Would they nail it every time? Would it be a hot mess? We'll never know because there's no audit of how they grade books. 

Thanks for clearing it up. (thumbsu

On 4/16/2024 at 7:26 AM, MatterEaterLad said:

From the books I've had graded in the past two years, CGC definitely seems to be in one of their tighter grading periods. I hate that they've had such variance over the years. If I had the money to burn, I'd have a set of 100 books regraded each year to appraise the consistency/inconsistency of grading. Would they nail it every time? Would it be a hot mess? We'll never know because there's no audit of how they grade books. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Administrator
On 4/15/2024 at 1:01 PM, Timed said:

used to scan every book but it got really time consuming so started to only scan the higher valued ones. But I did just message Mike to look into it further. I do know it was not there when I sent it in, and I use a 3rd party presser who hand delivers. So it definitely sucks!

Hi 

I spoke with the President of CGC regarding this.  Here is what he said:

This book was submitted directly to grading (no CCS pressing), and the first person to remove the book from its bag was the grader that assigned the crease note in the system. I don’t believe we damaged it. I think he just overlooked the defect.