• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How in the world did this book get a 6.5?
4 4

24 posts in this topic

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/4411253001/

Context; the book was submitted with a 9.8 expectancy. There were no spine ticks or creases. The white line on the back on the red text was not there at submission, so am assuming it's the slab. But will double check once it's in hand...

What would you do if you submitted this book and got that grade? O.o

CGC4411253-001_OBV.jpg

CGC4411253-001_REV.jpg

Edited by Timed

I had similar results recently, with a bunch of Copper Age books. Was hoping for a minimum of 9.2 and the books all came back in the 8.5-7.0 range with "light creasing, light spine stress."

The grading inconsistency has always been annoying, but now it's ridiculous. Borock has said that he thinks it's to push people to use CGC's pressing services.

On 4/15/2024 at 10:41 AM, MatterEaterLad said:

Borock has said that he thinks it's to push people to use CGC's pressing services.

(thumbsu

• Administrator
On 4/15/2024 at 11:51 AM, Timed said:

Context; the book was submitted with a 9.8 expectancy. There were no spine ticks or creases. The white line on the back on the red text was not there at submission, so am assuming it's the slab. But will double check once it's in hand...

That white line is glare.  I am assuming this book has already shipped?  If so, contact me when you receive it.  If it hasn't let me know ASAP, and include the submission number.

On 4/15/2024 at 11:51 AM, Timed said:

The white line on the back on the red text was not there at submission

That is a color breaking crease.

Do you have scans of this before you sent it in?

• Administrator
On 4/15/2024 at 12:57 PM, Timmay said:

I thought he was talking about the white line on the front cover.  Sorry.

Posted (edited)
On 4/15/2024 at 11:57 AM, Timmay said:

No I don't, sadly. I used to scan every book but it got really time consuming so started to only scan the higher valued ones. But I did just message Mike to look into it further. I do know it was not there when I sent it in, and I use a 3rd party presser who hand delivers. So it definitely sucks!

Edited by Timed

On 4/15/2024 at 11:41 AM, MatterEaterLad said:

I had similar results recently, with a bunch of Copper Age books. Was hoping for a minimum of 9.2 and the books all came back in the 8.5-7.0 range with "light creasing, light spine stress."

The grading inconsistency has always been annoying, but now it's ridiculous. Borock has said that he thinks it's to push people to use CGC's pressing services.

When and where did he say this?

On 4/15/2024 at 1:01 PM, Timed said:

No I don't, sadly. I used to scan every book but it got really time consuming so started to only scan the higher valued ones. But I did just message Mike to look into it further. I do know it was not there when I sent it in, and I use a 3rd party presser who hand delivers. So it definitely sucks!

You are SOL.

On 4/15/2024 at 9:41 AM, MatterEaterLad said:

...Borock has said that he thinks it's to push people to use CGC's pressing services.

"Third-Party graders" :roflmao:lol

On 4/15/2024 at 3:09 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

CGC4411253-001_REV.jpgasm303crease.thumb.png.bf9ec73bfb877077f2d6085c5fd9f716.png

A light diagonal crease from what was likely a foldover means the grade is accurate as it stands at this moment, but it really sucks if that was not there prior to submission. 

On 4/15/2024 at 7:17 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

Was it in a public forum? Did you hear him say it at a con? Or did you make it up?

Yes, you caught me. I totally made it up. :eyeroll:

Six years ago a friend's husband passed away and left her with a nice collection of SA books, including Hulk 1, and FF 1-5. I connected her with Steve when he was still at that other place and he went through her collection and recommended which ones to have graded (and he later graded them). About 18 months ago she decided to sell and both Steve and I recommended she have the books cross-graded to CGC cases, which we both felt would do better at auction (Steve had left the other place). The grades on all of her books came back .5 to 2.5 points lower. She was pretty upset, at Steve, at CGC, and basically the whole comic world, which she didn't know much about. Part of her frustration was because after she saw comic prices soar, they had plummeted by the time her books were sold. Steve's explanation to her was what I mentioned earlier. I'm not saying that's what's going on, but that's what he said. From the books I've had graded in the past two years, CGC definitely seems to be in one of their tighter grading periods. I hate that they've had such variance over the years. If I had the money to burn, I'd have a set of 100 books regraded each year to appraise the consistency/inconsistency of grading. Would they nail it every time? Would it be a hot mess? We'll never know because there's no audit of how they grade books.