• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What means FA on MHC stickers?
2 2

21 posts in this topic

Is that mean fair condition? So really low grade? Im right?  Im confused because i always tought the letters used  for fair was FR...(shrug)Screenshot_20240416-160528_Messenger.thumb.jpg.e487bbe2c3e59ddba91090dd1e16b3c8.jpg

Edited by BA773

from your grainy picture from a mile overhead we can't really tell, they could be really rough, who knows? Or maybe they have stains on the back/water damage but would otherwise be ok? but yeah "FA" usually means fair, 1.0. A CGC 1.0 is usually a pretty rough looking book or missing something in the interior, MCS clearly doesn't want returns on this sort of book. From your grainy photo those FA may be CGC 2.0s. But I don't need to tell you that, I assume you know.

If MHC, in my limited experience, FA is, on a very good day, PR/0.5 if not "0.0", and G (GD)/2.0 is FA if not PR. Granted, some board members have reported receiving accurately graded and/or, dare I say, I will, under-graded, comic books from MHC. Alas, I was never so fortunate.  

On 4/17/2024 at 5:14 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

If MHC, in my limited experience, FA is, on a very good day, PR/0.5 if not "0.0", and G (GD)/2.0 is FA if not PR. Granted, some board members have reported receiving accurately graded and/or, dare I say, I will, under-graded, comic books from MHC. Alas, I was never so fortunate.  

I've never had an issue with them and was pretty pleased with some mid-grade type books. My purchases have been very targeted and only about .001% of their listings were priced decently.

On 4/17/2024 at 11:14 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Yes we already had a disscusion on MHC in another thread and unfortunately it seems to be the common opinion about MHC...

On 4/17/2024 at 7:53 AM, the blob said:

I've never had an issue with them and was pretty pleased with some mid-grade type books. My purchases have been very targeted and only about .001% of their listings were priced decently.

Yes, as I mentioned in my post some folks have received nice copies from MHC. Unfortunately, every comic book I ordered from MHC, roughly 50-60, about two decades ago, were generally all horrendously over-graded. Off the top of my head, the NM copies I ordered, for example, were, on average, VF/VF+ - 8.0/8.5 with most being lower, VF-/7.5 and zero being NM/9.4. I have not looked at my MHC's grading notes in perhaps 15 plus years, so my recollection is not 100%, but I'll always remember they were typically (I mean always) awfully graded comic books. Based on how Chuck reports that the MHC "graders" grade 10,000 comic books in 2 hours (I exaggerate a whole, whole lot) I know why they were so awful.

I kept about 15-20 of the 8.5 but returned the rest. Many of the "NM" had torn front and/or rear covers, water stains, coupons cut out, etc., etc. I have always been a tough grader, but I'll say to MHC, "come on, you are ... manuring me." I have not purchased from MHC since and never again will. However, as I hint above, I still receive the MHC newsletter with stories about "speed comic book grading" and life events, recently learning that Chuck was, unfortunately, involved in an auto accident in his cargo van and suffered injuries. 

On 4/17/2024 at 9:12 AM, BA773 said:

Yes we already had a disscusion on MHC in another thread and unfortunately it seems to be the common opinion about MHC...

Yes, I love that thread! :wink:

On 4/16/2024 at 7:16 PM, mycomicshop said:

He said "mycomicshop" in the thread title, but those aren't our stickers. Maybe Mile High's or some other retailer.

@BA773 Could you edit the title of this thread and change "mycomicshop" to "Mile High", so it's not misleading?

On 4/17/2024 at 10:42 AM, Point Five said:

Here's a handy guide to those Mile High stickers,

FA = Fair
GD = Fair
VG = probably Fair
FN = Fairish
VF = Fair-adjacent
NM = Eh what the hell, that's Fair too.

lol

Only if MHC let "high grades" slip past its "graders."

Honneslty excuse me but this topic drifted for a while now so you will not be irritated if i continue in this way...

So after months of investigation i still dont get something... why would you overpaid books... just why? I mean at best you could hope to get your books for 5× the market value with MHC, so, just WHY?

On 4/17/2024 at 1:04 PM, BA773 said:

Honneslty excuse me but this topic drifted for a while now so you will not be irritated if i continue in this way...

So after months of investigation i still dont get something... why would you overpaid books... just why? I mean at best you could hope to get your books for 5× the market value with MHC, so, just WHY?

Mile High's business practice as laid out by Chuck is maintaining a large stock of items at high prices, which prevents them from needing to restock regularly.  His philosophy is that Mile High is a destination since they will have more stock available than anyone else, although as noted above the grading is poor and seasoned collectors won't bother rolling the dice in the hopes of getting the book they're overpaying for in the purported grade. 

The customer base for Mile High is as far as I can tell: 

1) People who don't know any better, or are too impatient to shop around. 
2) People who can't find what they want elsewhere (and are again too impatient to wait for it to come up at a better price). 

So yeah. I think it's worth noting that any new business trying to get off the ground with this business model today would likely crash and burn. Because Mile High has been an established entity for decades and Chuck has amassed a lot of stock, they can make their money on fewer sales and thus keep their operating costs down. It seems nuts, but the business is at least outwardly still successful. 

Edited by rlextherobot