• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help figuring out the artist/signature
1 1

7 posts in this topic

So I went down a rabbit hole. I've been focusing on what looks like "AW" and searched for DC artists with initials AW. Eventually found Alan Weiss and found a full signature with a similar "A". (Comic Artist Alan Lee Weiss Original Art Sketch Signed Drawing RARE Marvel 1972 | eBay)

image.png.bdc4f84a122fcc4113686b65b0840b05.png

Then I found another sketch signature with a "75" with the 5 looking very similar to the 5 in what I think is "445" or "4/15". Supergirl, in Edward B's Alan Weiss Comic Art Gallery Room (comicartfans.com)

image.png.ec66cc0b41e3453f68555e7c6a095123.png

So possibly Alan Weiss? Granted, the art style doesn't look similar, but it does look like yours is painted or colored with markers or something, and the others are pencil/line sketches. Then again, I have been staring at these for way too long...

Edit: Grand Comics Database indicates he has signed using a "generic AW" (GCD :: Creator :: Alan Weiss (b. 1948) (comics.org)), but I haven't been able to find one that matches yours.

Edited by flchris

Oh my goodness. Thank you for all the work you did. Maybe I can tag him or email him and a 1% chance he will respond lol.

On 4/22/2024 at 11:56 AM, flchris said:

Could ask the folks in the signature room forum if you haven't already to get some more eyes on it.

On 4/23/2024 at 11:53 AM, flchris said:

Alan Weiss had a style that was sort of between early Jim Starlin and Berni Wrightson.  I always thought Weiss' faces were a little weird, but he is/was a really talented artist.  This looks like an artist alley sketch to me.