• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When to slab, when to sell raw?
2 2

23 posts in this topic

On 4/23/2024 at 3:43 PM, Ed Hanes said:

You can try selling lots on MCS (for comics that cant be sold separately) at auction only...but you will not make your money back..but you will get something back. Ebay is fickle when it comes to non key raws...key raws do  well on Ebay..but non key raws dont seem to do as well as their slabbed counterparts (from my experience)..and I think this has to do with the international market. 

eBay auctions seem particularly fickle.  Even for key slabs they seem about 10-20% under what you'd get waiting on a fixed price.  With MCS, you have the auction schedule to let people know when books are coming up, but still you're selling to bargain-hunters.  With eBay, it's the luck of the draw on top of that.

A lot of good information from several of you.  I am learning a lot and in retirement I've got the time to learn.

On 4/24/2024 at 5:36 AM, comicginger1789 said:

As for selling the "utter junk", sell off in lots but sprinkle in some books that don't sell from "the rest". So a collector sees some decent bronze age stuff they might want, mixed with the junk and if priced appropriately, you can move those books. 

BINGO... have you ever watched the older episodes of American Pickers? *BUNDLE BUNDLE BUNDLE*... it's a great way to spread the real vs perceived value of some items across more variables/items.  Maybe you think XYZ Comic #2 is worth $10, but XYZ Comic #3 is worth $28. Someone else may think the reverse, so if you bundle them at $31-35, that comes off seeming like a good deal to the buyer and seller since you never know exactly how they perceive the individual item values vs the collective values ...