• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Off Your Recent Grab Bag and Mystery Box Pulls!
1 1

1 post in this topic

Mystery boxes and grab bags are usually terrible investments. You might get equal or greater "value" in FMV for the books you get, but no one's looking for that random issue of Superman from the 90's worth $3 or whatever. Nor are all those unsold, random comic store exclusive covers that are for sale for $15 on a website highly sought after. Most of the time, curated grab bags and mystery boxes just aren't worth getting, unless you go into it for pure fun and enjoy getting random stuff, or if you buy one from a run that has guaranteed big hits and actually do win. Or there are the mystery boxes that have exclusive variants you only get in those boxes, so you partially know what you're getting.

But that's comic retailers and flippers, right? They sell grab bags to dump bulk books. However, you might find stores (or even individual sellers) who don't specialize in comics that sell grab bags. Walmart sold those grab bags that often had ratio variants in them, sometimes things like 1:1000 variants, as well as their exclusive covers. Five Below has sold bags with comic-con exclusives in them. Ollie's sells bags with all sorts of random older and newer books, including modern ratio variants and older key comics. And Half Price Books sells grab bags that are sometimes themed, with 2 outer-facing books so you can get an idea of what you're getting.

Anyhow, I know there are various threads about this, but how about one where we just show off our pulls? If anyone is considering trying their luck, they can see the hits and misses of other boardies to make more informed decisions. Personally, I think the best ones are where you know partially what you're getting. That way you can decide if you want at least what you know you're getting.

Such is the case with these recent Half Price Books grab bags I got. I picked them all up because I specifically wanted Wolverine fills. And the Batman ones, well, I just hoped for good books but didn't expect to get what I actually got. This kind of hit is very rare anywhere, but the other books I got were still pretty great for what I paid. I have some more unopened bags still, so I'll share those this week at some point most likely. I didn't take pics of every book I got. They had 20-25 in each pack. I just picked the keys and some other samples from what I pulled. But the Wolverines were all from the first ongoing. Batman had a mix, but had a lot of Knightfall, and of course, the little hits and the BIG one pictured below.

Show off your recent grab bag and mystery box pulls, too! Good or bad.

IMG_20240423_222247037.jpg

IMG_20240424_195308649.jpg

IMG_20240424_194803816.jpg