• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trimmed edge or a slice?
1 1

28 posts in this topic

On 5/2/2024 at 8:59 AM, Artboy99 said:

just FYI: Trimming does not need to be the entire side.

To the original poster: You used a cutting instrument and cut off a portion of the cover. How is it not trimmed? 

I think the situation would need to be taken into consideration. This was not an attempt to remove 1-2 inches of damage, it was 1-2 inches of additional damage added trying to remove the book from the inner well. Then again, CGC has made decisions that seem to defy any type of speculation we may throw around here on the forums. 

On 5/2/2024 at 9:20 AM, joeypost said:

Then again, CGC has made decisions that seem to defy any type of speculation we may throw around here on the forums. 

This. 

I have a book with a similar problem. I have no idea who, how, or why this small section was trimmed (if it actually is trimmed). But it definitely got hit with a Purple label. People have argued that this shouldn't be considered trimming since it doesn't appear to have been done to enhance the appearance of the book, it's just...weird. I dunno.

Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 10.50.57 AM.png

On 5/2/2024 at 12:55 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

This. 

I have a book with a similar problem. I have no idea who, how, or why this small section was trimmed (if it actually is trimmed). But it definitely got hit with a Purple label. People have argued that this shouldn't be considered trimming since it doesn't appear to have been done to enhance the appearance of the book, it's just...weird. I dunno.

Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 10.50.57 AM.png

I think we assume all trimming was done to improve the book for other collectors...what if this was just some kid who didnt like the edge wrinkling or wear or whatever so they took an exacto-knife and removed the edge? Definitely was cut by someone at some point so the book has been altered. Maybe to us it doesn't enhance the look but to the kid at the time it does.

When I was a kid I uses to cut the corners off my hockey cards because the edges were always getting dinged and bent so I rounded them off (I was a dumbo kid like the above kid was and before you get concerned that I ruined good cards, 99% were the 90's pro set stuff so no worries).

On 5/2/2024 at 11:48 AM, comicginger1789 said:

When I was a kid I uses to cut the corners off my hockey cards because the edges were always getting dinged and bent so I rounded them off (I was a dumbo kid like the above kid was and before you get concerned that I ruined good cards, 99% were the 90's pro set stuff so no worries).

I was talking to a someone who's father left her a massive comic collection. Lots of GA and SA books.

Apparently when her father was a kid, he trimmed the ad pages out of his comics so he could fit 2-3 in a comic bag :whatthe:

On 5/1/2024 at 2:44 PM, Paul Kosnik said:

This isn't trimmed.  It meets neither the letter nor the spirit of the definition of trimmed.  Firstly, trimmed is entire side (or substantially so, perhaps in the case of a misscut comic).  And trimmed, by definition, improves the appearance and is intended to deceive.  This cut does not improve the appearance, cannot deceive, and is for one small section of the edge.  This is just a defect, and will be graded as such if they do their jobs correctly.  Here is CGC's definition of trimmed:

• TRIMMING – A technique that involves cutting off the edges of a comic book’s cover or pages to remove defects and sharpen edges. Unlike the other restoration techniques, trimming results in an improved appearance through destruction (loss of paper).

Just like pressing does not improve a grade... Oh, who said that?!  I agree it is not a trimmed edge, but just a missing piece. I mean, CGC removing restoration (color touch) by cutting it out is more the definition of  trimming IMO!

On 5/2/2024 at 4:02 PM, Neo "The One" said:

Just like pressing does not improve a grade... Oh, who said that?!  I agree it is not a trimmed edge, but just a missing piece. I mean, CGC removing restoration (color touch) by cutting it out is more the definition of  trimming IMO!

Ok - so I just had a mental 'smoke' and am replying and quoting my own post.  Hypothetically if there was color touch on the edge of a comic and CGC cut it out - would that qualify as trimming!?  Now I really need to smoke.

Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2024 at 7:59 AM, Artboy99 said:

just FYI: Trimming does not need to be the entire side.

To the original poster: You used a cutting instrument and cut off a portion of the cover. How is it not trimmed? 

From the full definition in The Official CGC Guide to Grading Comics, it is pretty clear:  "It (trimming) is accomplished by cutting off one, two, or all three edges of a comic to remove wear leaving sharp edges".  It doesn't state "part of the edge", but rather the edge, which by any plain reading of English with respect to a book means the entire edge.  Further, from the guide again:  "It (trimming) is classified as restoration because it can enhance the appearance and grade of a comic".  The slice (the official jargon CGC uses for such a defect) in question does not enhance the appearance, but rather detracts from it.  

From the definition of Slice, again from the guide:  "A slice involves a cut into the paper with a sharp object".  Further, "A slice is usually accidental, most often occurring while cutting open a shipping container..."

Seems to fit the exact definition of what the OP did and the resultant defect to the book.

Edited by Paul Kosnik
I hadn't read the rest of the posts and they made some of my comments redundant or nonsensical.