• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trimmed edge or a slice?
1 1

28 posts in this topic

I got careless removing an old-slabbed SS#4 from its inner well and accidentally trimmed off a 1" section of paper in the process.  My question is this now considered trimmed, or would it just be a slice defect?  You can see it to the right of Surfer's board.   Any insight would be appreciated. 🙏

20240430_171840.jpg

On 4/30/2024 at 4:23 PM, Koopakidd11 said:

I got careless removing an old-slabbed SS#4 from its inner well and accidentally trimmed off a 1" section of paper in the process.  My question is this now considered trimmed, or would it just be a slice defect?  You can see it to the right of Surfer's board.   Any insight would be appreciated. 🙏

20240430_171840.jpg

It's not the entire edge, just that short section by the end of the Surfer's board?

On 4/30/2024 at 5:23 PM, Koopakidd11 said:

20240430_171840.jpg

I figure the odds be 50/50...  

On 5/1/2024 at 8:09 AM, Paul Kosnik said:

It's not the entire edge, just that short section by the end of the Surfer's board?

Correct, just that 1" section.

On 5/1/2024 at 9:18 AM, The Lions Den said:

I figure the odds be 50/50...  

Thank you for the reply.  I'm wondering if it would help if I submitted a note with the book explaining what happened and that there was no intention of trying to restore the book.

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 5:58 AM, KCOComics said:

Unfortunately, I suspect cgc will call that trimmed. 

Even though it was an accident, technically, the edge was trimmed, so I can't complain if that's the way they choose to go.  Thanks for the reply!

Edited by Koopakidd11

Yeah, that's the tough part. They'll have no idea what the back story is. So they'll just get a comic with a pretty cleanly cut section missing. And if I saw that, I would think it was trimmed. 

I don't think there's any way to know ahead of time how CGC is going to treat this, as it's a pretty unique case. If I were grading this book, I would not call that edge trimmed; perhaps if the damage were at the top or the bottom, but this is just a chunk out of the center edge that happens to have left a more or less clean break. It doesn't disguise damage, nor does it attempt to improve the appearance of the book, so I wouldn't deem it restoration (not even crappy self-destructive "restoration" like trimming).

But what they'll decide?

:691460725_armsraised:

If it were a high grade copy it would probably get a trimmed label, a low grade copy it will probably be factored into the grade as damage.   Although I have never submitted a book with this flaw, I would just factor the damage into the grade. 

Any number of books with a slight overhang that's gone slightly brittle and flakes off....  is it trimmed?  NO!!  But I see everyone's point.  CGC will make their own decision.

Here's an interesting one:

PR21CGC40.thumb.JPG.78687870e583e682b4f1998cafd7e658.JPG

The top edge of only the cover wrap was hand-cut (wavy).  Interior sheets were cut at once/together.  CGC gave it a purple label.  :691460725_armsraised:

This isn't trimmed.  It meets neither the letter nor the spirit of the definition of trimmed.  Firstly, trimmed is entire side (or substantially so, perhaps in the case of a misscut comic).  And trimmed, by definition, improves the appearance and is intended to deceive.  This cut does not improve the appearance, cannot deceive, and is for one small section of the edge.  This is just a defect, and will be graded as such if they do their jobs correctly.  Here is CGC's definition of trimmed:

• TRIMMING – A technique that involves cutting off the edges of a comic book’s cover or pages to remove defects and sharpen edges. Unlike the other restoration techniques, trimming results in an improved appearance through destruction (loss of paper).

On 5/1/2024 at 11:58 AM, Topnotchman said:

If it were a high grade copy it would probably get a trimmed label, a low grade copy it will probably be factored into the grade as damage.   Although I have never submitted a book with this flaw, I would just factor the damage into the grade. 

This one's in the mid-grade range (4.5 to 5.5).  I will submit it either way and post what I get back from CGC.  Thanks for the repsonse!

On 5/1/2024 at 2:44 PM, Paul Kosnik said:

This isn't trimmed.  It meets neither the letter nor the spirit of the definition of trimmed.  Firstly, trimmed is entire side (or substantially so, perhaps in the case of a misscut comic).  And trimmed, by definition, improves the appearance and is intended to deceive.  This cut does not improve the appearance, cannot deceive, and is for one small section of the edge.  This is just a defect, and will be graded as such if they do their jobs correctly.  Here is CGC's definition of trimmed:

• TRIMMING – A technique that involves cutting off the edges of a comic book’s cover or pages to remove defects and sharpen edges. Unlike the other restoration techniques, trimming results in an improved appearance through destruction (loss of paper).

Appreciate your expertise Mr. Paul.  I'll let everyone know how it goes.  I'm sure this will happen to someone again at some point and this will be a good reference.

On 5/1/2024 at 11:44 AM, Paul Kosnik said:

Not to divert OPs post but what do you think of this.  Page was denoted as trimmed no other resto, I checked the book carefully.

C525F6E1-FCEB-4874-BA6C-7744B63ED649.jpeg

On 5/1/2024 at 5:02 PM, Koopakidd11 said:

This one's in the mid-grade range (4.5 to 5.5).  I will submit it either way and post what I get back from CGC.  Thanks for the repsonse!

How is it *between* 4.5-5.5? What was the grade before you cracked the slab and sliced the book? No comprendo. Why open it it, cut it inadvertently and then submit again?

On 4/30/2024 at 2:23 PM, Koopakidd11 said:

20240430_171840.jpg

:whatthe: :cry:

On 5/1/2024 at 9:05 PM, dick pontoon said:

How is it *between* 4.5-5.5? What was the grade before you cracked the slab and sliced the book? No comprendo. Why open it it, cut it inadvertently and then submit again?

It was a 4.5 prior to cracking it out, but now hoping it's either a 5.0 or 5.5. 🙏

On 5/1/2024 at 12:44 PM, Paul Kosnik said:

just FYI: Trimming does not need to be the entire side.

To the original poster: You used a cutting instrument and cut off a portion of the cover. How is it not trimmed?