• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are these defects normally ok for a 9.8? Or, are they actually damage?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I'm new to comic collecting and purchased a 9.8 on eBay. When I got it though there were a few problems. It looks like the pages are lower than the cover as you can see some empty space when looking down at the top. The top cover and pages aren't totally aligned, as they're in a staircase like position. Though, that could be because the comic is partially stuck to the front of the casing somehow and is kind of in a U shape. And, around the staples have tears or something? Fluff? And, a bigger hole opening. I don't know the terms. There is a tiny tear going up vertically from the staple around the tearing or something. I can't really get a picture of it since I have to go in really close to see. 

However, my question is is this stuff ok for a 9.8, or did this get damaged during shipping or something?

thumbnail-2.jpeg

thumbnail-3.jpeg

thumbnail-1.jpeg

thumbnail.jpeg

On 5/2/2024 at 12:18 PM, Artifiction said:

looks like a case of SCS. The third pic. tells all. 2c

To clarify what this person means, sometimes the book inside that inner well is sandwiched tight but the whole inner well as whole still moves (does the contents shift at all when you tip the book upside down?). SCS or shaken case syndrome as people have come to call it, can happen and means the books could have shifting, thus causing the pages to appear that way and perhaps larger tears at the staples.

Are those staple tears common for 9.8? They do seem a bit much but I have still seen other 9.8 books with similar. If you are really concerned, return it and look for a better copy.