• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sellers misrepresenting artwork
2 2

26 posts in this topic

On 5/5/2024 at 10:41 PM, BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES said:

I guess I must've experienced misrepresentation because I've seen a piece or two described as being primarily the work of lesser artists (when I owned them), only to see the same pieces, described by the same people, as being primarily the work of greater artists (after I sold them).  Gotta figure one description or the other was off.

Sometimes, it’s hard to tell. I bought a page recently which was solely attributed to Bill Draut on the back of it, and in the comic, but it was sold on HA as a combination piece between Draut and Infantino. I knew the original seller, who said it was a mix on the pencils, the Omnibus said it as well, and I have earlier comics by Infantino which confirms to me he did do the claimed part. The difference kicked up the final price by several multiples. 
All of this raises the interesting question: why are we paying so much for a name if we can’t tell the difference?

Posted (edited)

3 Universal truths:

- Death
- Taxes (exception for large corporations)
- Deception or far, far worse from; Sellers/Dealers of Comic Book Art, Comic Books and Trading Cards

Edited by MAR1979

I don't like it. The reason I bring up poor Jack Abel's inking over John Buscema all the time is that a seller listed a Marvel Fanfare page at the same going rate as a a JB/Adkins or JB/SalB page from the 60's-70's. This was 20 years ago, but come on. The disparity in asthetic should've placed the sellers ask on the lower rung of the sliding scale. I had a Marvel Fanfare Surfer page myself, I liked it for what it was, but so many uninformed collectors pay the comparable tax on an item that's not in the same league as the best work. I know the "art is subjective" bunch will weigh in but honestly, for your hard earned dollar, you should know the difference between what art you like vs. how much you should pay for it.

On 5/7/2024 at 7:43 AM, grapeape said:

I know the "art is subjective" bunch will weigh in but honestly, for your hard earned dollar, you should know the difference between what art you like vs. how much you should pay for it.

I have never believed that commercial art is subjective. There are well-established rules, guidelines and methods that commercial art should adhere to because the end result of most commercial art is to communicate an idea or concept without expressive editorial infused into the work. Those lines blurred from the 60s onward in comic art, which is what - for me - makes comic art on of the greatest genres in the art world. It's a combination of expressive and commercial art, showcasing the talents of the artist who needs to have the skillset to visually tell a story, but also the creativity to add his own expression and style to it. 

However, I agree with you - there are a lot of examples out there where pieces are patently overpriced when compared to counterparts of different art teams or visual composition. Sadly, every collector has to learn the difference between what you like and how much you should pay for it - unfortunately, that learning curve is far more expensive in 2024 than it was a decade ago. 

On 5/7/2024 at 2:31 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I have never believed that commercial art is subjective. There are well-established rules, guidelines and methods that commercial art should adhere to because the end result of most commercial art is to communicate an idea or concept without expressive editorial infused into the work. Those lines blurred from the 60s onward in comic art, which is what - for me - makes comic art on of the greatest genres in the art world. It's a combination of expressive and commercial art, showcasing the talents of the artist who needs to have the skillset to visually tell a story, but also the creativity to add his own expression and style to it. 

However, I agree with you - there are a lot of examples out there where pieces are patently overpriced when compared to counterparts of different art teams or visual composition. Sadly, every collector has to learn the difference between what you like and how much you should pay for it - unfortunately, that learning curve is far more expensive in 2024 than it was a decade ago. 

Well put, my good man.