• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some questions for the experts here.
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I was asked to evaluate the comic collection of a friend of my Dad's who just passed, with an eye to helping his widow liquidate the collection.  What wasn't mentioned was the assorted art on the wall of the comics room.  This is a field where I know almost nothing, and have no idea how to establish authenticity or anything.  So I was hoping to post some of the pictures here, and get some idea of what I am looking at.

There were also a number of signed prints, but I won't post those here, at least initially.

Thanks to everybody in advance for any help and advice!

I'd agree with @RBerman - provenance is going to be tough with the original party not around to give any recollection of where the sketches came from. While it's probably easy to surmise they are authentic considering the source, the person buying it will now be once removed from the history of the art and then it becomes even more difficult to take at face value that they are authentic when that person decides to sell them.

Without any history or provenance at all, the cost of authenticating may not result in getting that investment back (except maybe for the Caniffs, especially the one dated from 1945). Also unclear if the auction houses would be interested in listing, but that's worth a try before you opt to put them on Ebay and let the market figure out the value.