• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America #8 Pick'um

5 posts in this topic

On 5/6/2024 at 9:49 PM, tabcom said:

ScreenShot2024-05-06at9_39_24PM.thumb.png.3bc403566c6d89690e725e39ab960d1a.png

PLUS 25% Premium and sales tax. $4187 + Shipping

OR . .  . . .

ScreenShot2024-05-06at9_43_45PM.thumb.png.a5d6f4667fc84ed33b9b16b365c144ee.png

ScreenShot2024-05-06at9_48_18PM.thumb.png.55657de93e34792d9e26d4814b2b43aa.png

Sure, I'll play. :)

Just comparing the two books themselves, I'd actually rather have the first one, the raw copy. The logo area looks super bright and clean and I don't like the heavy dust shadow on the slabbed copy. On the raw copy it looks like that funky tear/snag in the upper right still has the cover stock there and can be unfolded (dumb on the auction house for not doing that). Both copies have some spine roll/readers' creasing; the slabbed one's spine looks a bit better but I could live with the raw one. 

On HA I pay NY sales tax, shipping and other random charges and would probably be looking at $3400 and change all in for the slab. So $700ish extra, but the raw copy is a bit brighter + no heavy dust shadow. So in a book vs. book matchup I'd strongly lean towards the raw copy.

Back in reality (sigh), the raw copy was apparently sold by an obscure auction service I don't know and those often have 'customer must inspect in person/sold as is/no returns' fine print on raw GA books, which is extremely worrying. Among the many good reasons why in the end Heritage (and by extension CGC in this scenario) gets so much of my money.  

I'd take the CGC graded 2nd one without question. Obscure auction house with the 1st as mentioned, raw, with no knowledgable collector to give any incite. Just a recipe for potential disaster with the possibility of any amount of resto, pages missing, interior damage not known. Yeah, I'll take what's confirmed of what's unknown.

As far as the graded copy goes, despite the dust shadow, it's not the worst 3.5 I've seen. I like that it doesn't have noticeable color breaking crease lines running from various sides as some tend to in that grade range.