• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cameos That Should be First Appearances

29 posts in this topic

Also, in respects to the suggestion that X-men 120 may have been mis-evaluated (not just with the term cameo) but as even a Limited First Appearance... what case would have to presented to see this listing re-evaluated and possibly credited as the First Appearance of Alpha Flight

Does anyone know how CGC define these AF appearances in X-Men 120 & 121 on their labels?

It seems to me that a large number of the notations in Overstreet need to be revised based on these discussions.

Arnold, how often are the issue notes in the guide reviewed? Is it a case of once an issue is broken out then the notation remains unchecked? I realise there is a lot of information to be checked, but do you wait until you have a significant volume of revisions before applying them?

In reply to this and previous notes in this thread, it's always a pleasure to come on board and chat about this stuff. I enjoy being here, and I'm happy to add to the conversation in a productive or enlightening way.

As for offering such data for inclusion, whether it's pricing, first app. notes or *anything at all*, it's as easy as e-mailing me, Mark Huesman, Tom Gordon, etc., or just picking up the phone and calling us. You can write a good old-fashioned snail mail letter too, and if you want to put in the extra effort, send in a photocopy of any relevant data, like the indicia on a comic you think we've omitted or the panels in which a character first appears, that sort of thing. We look at any and *all* suggestions, and if they can be corroborated, in they go.

We have lots of comics here to check things, so if you say "You jerks! You missed Doctor Fantabulous' first appearance in COSMO COMICS #5!" we might be able to just grab the ish and look it up and change the note. Of course a xerox would help if we don't have the issue in question...and you might want to be more polite than this example too smile.gif.

Considering the vast amount of notations in the Guide, I'm sorry to say we don't have the time or the energy to recheck everything every single time. But if someone draws specific attention to a note that needs adding, changing, or adjusting, I guarantee you we'll take a look at it. And knowing that this is a topic that concerns many of you, I can also tell you that we'll try to keep it more in mind as we go over things next time. But it's a big book and it's hard to read that tiny type smile.gif.

Arnold

You jerks! You missed Doctor Fantabulous' first appearance in COSMO COMICS #5!"

Best COMIC BOOK GUY voice:

"Ah yes, Dr. Fantabulous. First appearance Cosmo Comics 5. First cover appearance Banana Man 3. His own book ran 36 issues. An outstanding choice."

Okay everyone, how about trying the Warlock intros/cameos. How do you rate them?

Overstreet has FF 66 as "Begin 2 part origin of HIM (Warlock); does not app."

then FF 67 as "Origin/1st app HIM (Warlock); 1 page cameo; see Thor 165, 166 for first full app."

Then it has Thor 163 and 164 as "2nd & 3rd brief cameo Warlock (HIM)"

and finally Thor 165 as "1st full app Warlock(HIM)"

and 166 "2nd full app Warlock(HIM); battles Thor"

Decipher that stuff! The whole story arc is centered around Warlock from beginning to end.

That's actually correct, and a major change from the older Guides, which listed FF 66 as the first app of Warlock and Thor 165 as the third, after FF 67.

This was all fine and dandy until the early 90's, when The Infinity Gauntlet had Warlock as a hot character, and people actually started looking for FF 66-67. Once they found it, there was an outcry that the boy wasn't even in FF 66 and only appeared on one page in FF 67.

Plus, it was Thor 165-166 where the character was actually fleshed out and turned into a Marvel entity.