• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SPIDER-MAN still RULES.....is there any character more popular ? *DELETED*

64 posts in this topic

hey guys what do you think of Tintin and Asterix ???893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i'm joking guys i'm joking 27_laughing.gif

Actually if this question was asked inside a French border then yes, popularity would be leaning to Tintin, and Asterix.

i'm not agree with you, i'm a comic book fan ,sure thing, but Tintin is from Belgium not from France bumpit.gif and he is really known all over the earth thumbsup2.gif

What is a 'Tintin' ? I have never heard it ?

INFIDEL!!!!! How dare you not have heard of Tintin? 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Well, if one had been born and raised in the US. How do you propose one would know about Tintin? Libraries don't carry the books. Comic stores rarely have it available. Despite Tintin international fame, he is relatively unknown in the US. Actually I am more surprised at how many people on the boards came to know him. So, Tim and Mica. How did you guys get acquainted with our globe-trotting reported?

...and no..there is no more popular character than Spidey.. thumbsup2.gif

Many of the characteristics of Spider-man were swiped from GA Batman, IMO.

Misunderstood/wanted by the police, swinging around the city, named after a creature that instills fear, parental figure being murdered by a criminal inspires them to become a crimefighter, etc.

The main difference being that Peter Parker poor and tends to whine alot. tongue.gif

Another difference is that Peter Parker doesn't share a bed with underage boys. confused-smiley-013.gif

hey guys what do you think of Tintin and Asterix ???893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i'm joking guys i'm joking 27_laughing.gif

Actually if this question was asked inside a French border then yes, popularity would be leaning to Tintin, and Asterix.

i'm not agree with you, i'm a comic book fan ,sure thing, but Tintin is from Belgium not from France bumpit.gif and he is really known all over the earth thumbsup2.gif

What is a 'Tintin' ? I have never heard it ?

INFIDEL!!!!! How dare you not have heard of Tintin? 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Well, if one had been born and raised in the US. How do you propose one would know about Tintin? Libraries don't carry the books. Comic stores rarely have it available. Despite Tintin international fame, he is relatively unknown in the US. Actually I am more surprised at how many people on the boards came to know him. So, Tim and Mica. How did you guys get acquainted with our globe-trotting reported?

Surprisingly, it was on HBO. They ran the cartoons.

The main difference being that Peter Parker poor and tends to whine alot.

Don't forget "Teenager"

Spidey was one of the first mainstream heros that a teen...

correct?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Archie was a hero

I am a total 100 percent die hard Superman Fan!

and i reluctantly admit that [at this moment]Spiderman is more popular.

Daily buoggle....Daily planet

Peter Parker......Clark Kent

Lois Lane.........Mary jane

secret identities

losing powers and getting them back.

Clearly the Superman concepts are the model for the Spiderman comic books and movies[its all been done before.]

My guy will be the top guy again next year,but for now Spidey is rules.

Those elements that many people credit as being original to the Superman creators were all elements of pre-existing characters, some of whom were created thousands of years before Superman. All heroic stories have common elements. That was the entire point of Joseph Campbell's life's work, and I think it's hard to argue with him on that.

Actually I am more surprised at how many people on the boards came to know him. So, Tim and Mica. How did you guys get acquainted with our globe-trotting reported?
When I studied French in High School, I came across a magazine that had a page of Asterix. The Rooster was crowing, yet apparently had a French accent and did something like COCCOROOOOCARROO. 27_laughing.gif

It was nicely drawn, and one day I came across a British edition of the same story.

The LCS had received three Asterix books by mistake, and didn't know how much to sell them for...(the guy didn't know what to make of the pound symbol instead of $ ) So I offered $5 each for them and he seemed relieved to get rid of them

I really like the stories more than the art, (when he draws a horse the head is odd)

and along the way I bought all the editions and when I would find an Asterix there would be an occasional Tintin book as well.

To simplify an answer to your question, I like to be well read.

The editions sold in England are superior to the American editions which sometimes have covers that become unglued.

Sorry to disappoint the Spidey fanatics, but Superman is the most popular super-hero on earth. Most folks you encounter on the street (and probably a lot of folks overseas) will be able to tell you that Superman is from Krypton, his alias is Clark Kent, his love interest is Lois Lane, he lives in Metropolis, and his weakness is Kryptonite. Quite simply, Superman is iconic -- not unlike Mickey Mouse.

Far fewer people would be able to name Peter Parker, Mary Jane, where Spiderman lives, any of his villains, etc..

Those elements that many people credit as being original to the Superman creators were all elements of pre-existing characters, some of whom were created thousands of years before Superman. All heroic stories have common elements. That was the entire point of Joseph Campbell's life's work, and I think it's hard to argue with him on that.

Superman was Spidermans inspiration regardless of the origins of the concepts.

Take out Superman and Spiderman was never born regardless of Mr Campbells work.

I am a total 100 percent die hard Superman Fan!

and i reluctantly admit that [at this moment]Spiderman is more popular.

Daily buoggle....Daily planet

Peter Parker......Clark Kent

Lois Lane.........Mary jane

secret identities

losing powers and getting them back.

Clearly the Superman concepts are the model for the Spiderman comic books and movies[its all been done before.]

My guy will be the top guy again next year,but for now Spidey is rules.

You going to lecture us on Gilgamesh next, oh great scholar? tongue.gif

...and no..there is no more popular character than Spidey.. thumbsup2.gif

Many of the characteristics of Spider-man were swiped from GA Batman, IMO.

Misunderstood/wanted by the police, swinging around the city, named after a creature that instills fear, parental figure being murdered by a criminal inspires them to become a crimefighter, etc.

The main difference being that Peter Parker poor and tends to whine alot. tongue.gif

Another difference is that Peter Parker doesn't share a bed with underage boys. confused-smiley-013.gif

Touche! 27_laughing.gif

Sorry to disappoint the Spidey fanatics, but Superman is the most popular super-hero on earth. Most folks you encounter on the street (and probably a lot of folks overseas) will be able to tell you that Superman is from Krypton, his alias is Clark Kent, his love interest is Lois Lane, he lives in Metropolis, and his weakness is Kryptonite. Quite simply, Superman is iconic -- not unlike Mickey Mouse.

Far fewer people would be able to name Peter Parker, Mary Jane, where Spiderman lives, any of his villains, etc..

I see what you are trying to say, but would disagree. It could be argued that people all over the world would be able to give you many details about Hitler yet he isn't popular.

Your argument is correct if we are talking about familiar, instead of popular.

And you said "not unlike Mickey" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif how about "like Mickey". thumbsup2.gif

My earlier statements about Mickey were making the point that Mickey at one time had the "Familiarity" as well as the "Popularity". Now he's just familiar. confused-smiley-013.gif

Superman is probably the same.

Edited: Right now, Spiderman is more popular and recognizable, but not necessarily "familiar" as far as people being able to give you details like him losing his glasses in issue # 8.

I see what you are trying to say, but would disagree. It could be argued that people all over the world would be able to give you many details about Hitler yet he isn't popular.

Your argument is correct if we are talking about familiar, instead of popular.

And you said "not unlike Mickey" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif how about "like Mickey". thumbsup2.gif

My earlier statements about Mickey were making the point that Mickey at one time had the "Familiarity" as well as the "Popularity". Now he's just familiar. confused-smiley-013.gif

Superman is probably the same.

Please please... no comparisons of Superman to Hitler. I would argue Superman's "familiarity" derives from his "popularity" (i.e., his likability all over the world).

Edited: Right now, Spiderman is more popular and recognizable, but not necessarily "familiar" as far as people being able to give you details like him losing his glasses in issue # 8.

Please please... no comparisons of Superman to Hitler. I would argue Superman's "familiarity" derives from his "popularity" (i.e., his likability all over the world).
Oh no, there really wasn't a comparison of the two "beings" merely an EXTREME example. I wasn't comparing Hitler to Superman. confused-smiley-013.gif

Instead of Hitler, plug in any well known celebrity. Pick someone harmless like Mickey Rooney. thumbsup2.gif

Superman was Spidermans inspiration regardless of the origins of the concepts.

Take out Superman and Spiderman was never born regardless of Mr Campbells work.

THAT and $1.50 will get you ? confused-smiley-013.gif