• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC is now grading Digests and Paperbacks
1 1

30 posts in this topic

Yep, they're cheap, but it is also seems a nice spot to get a good deal.  It's a lot harder to pick up a 20 or 30 dollar book for five or ten or a 50 or 60 dollar book for 20 or 30 if we are talking comic or pulp (though I bet you're pretty good at it, Jimbo :foryou:).

On 5/19/2024 at 1:08 PM, GACollectibles said:

Soooo, you!

I 2nd the motion!

Unfortunately, no.  I'm far from a paperback expert... the aforementioned lamination question perpetually vexes me... I never know which were supposed to have it, and which never did.  I'm also not good at spotting unsigned artists... as we've seen right here on these boards several far better at that than me.  I'm a data compiler, not much more.  If someone else were to leap forward with a comprehensive paperback guide (with or without pricing, if that's an issue) I'm all for it!  

On 5/19/2024 at 11:41 AM, Surfing Alien said:

Beyond that, as a very active buyer in today's market, there are already hundreds of vintage paperbacks that top $100 in high grade. It's a way different market than when the last guides came out 20-30 years ago.

Yep.  And as I'm discovering, some of the higher values are not even with the old traditionals we tend to think of.  I'm seeing surprising prices (to me anyway) on things like the 1st ace editions of The Lord of the Rings, 1st pb edition of The Princess Bride, a number of '80s horor pbs with bold covers, die-cuts, etc., '70s and '80s horror-movie tie-ins... just as off-the-top-of-my-head examples.

A pulp art book from the 90s used a simple pricing indicator I like.  It was 1 to 5 dots, 1 being cheap fodder and 5 being top books.  It works nicely because even as prices go up or down, you can still use it to get a ballpark value when you compare a book you're looking a few other different books that sold recently with the same number of dots to get a ballpark idea of the comparative value.  Plus it doesn't get outdated as quickly. 

Obviously doesn't work with extreme outliers like the first shadow, but if you're in the market like that you don't need a price guide to begin with.  

On 5/23/2024 at 7:08 AM, moonpool said:

If you can afford a comic, you can find it,  if you can find a paperback, you can afford it.    ( A generalization of course, but still...)

Every rule has exceptions, but you've said this before and it's true 99% of the time with paperbacks and about 98% of the time with comics.