• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roller Damage vs Printing Errors
1 1

2 posts in this topic

I have read the CGC Error Guide and appreciate the detailed walkthrough of different errors. My questions is why does roller damage not count as an error and how does it happen? To me, this still is occurring the manufacturing process, just like the printing and foiling process which can generate damaged or mis-manufactured card errors but is just be a different step. Thanks in advance for any insights!

• Administrator

Hello @Sloya42, thanks for reaching out to us. Happy to help. Roller Damage (or print lines) are not recognized as an error because they are considered damage during the production process rather than an error in production. These can happen during the packaging process when rollers are used to move the sheets. Roller damage from the packaging process will typically but not always show as two vertical indentations on both the front and back of the card. 

Some defects affect a large portion of the print run but not the entirety, such as Magic Unlimited Edition cards with heavy roller lines, which will be scrutinized more than a defect that affects every card from the run. Defects that affect the whole print run but vary in severity will also be evaluated based on the severity of the defect. A good example of this is holo roller lines on earlier Pokémon cards. Some cards show with more than one, and some have heavier lines than others.I hope this helps!

1620334313_error-article-2.PNG?Policy=ey