• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cgc updated census observations

112 posts in this topic

But as I stated before, once I started buying back issues, it has ALWAYS been with an eye to getting my money out someday, while at the same time getting the fun of owning some super rare, expensive or cool books. Which makes me, I suspect, in your eyes, NOT a true collector.

Actually, you're wrong.

I'm FAR from these supposed "true collectors". I will sell just aout ANY book at the right price. And I don't agree that anything other than being burried with books is considered being a "heathen". If so, then I'm probably one of the BIGGEST "Heathens" on this board.

I was just attempting to use a generalization to differentiate between a hoard, and a collection to use in the context of this discussion. There is way too much grey area to acurately peg anyone or their motives for buying comics.

>>But as I stated before, once I started buying back issues, it has ALWAYS been with an eye to getting my money out someday, while at the same time getting the fun of owning some super rare, expensive or cool books. Which makes me, I suspect, in your eyes, NOT a true collector.

No, it makes you a person who doesn't mind taking huge risks and potentially losing a bundle. I respect that.

>>So when I hear that there are no more high grade comics to be slabbed I just laugh.

This is an illusion that some like to create for themselves. If the true breadth of the Silver and Bronze hoards were known, we'd have to start "jump lines" at the downtown skyscrapers. grin.gif

Even Bob Overstreet used to say "Longtime collectors know that pre-1960's material" is where you have to go in order to escape the warehouse finds, dealer hoards and collector/speculator troves.

I think the distinction lies in the comics themselves. I think that a TRUE collector will only buy books that they actually want to own. By doing this, he eliminates the RISK factor. If you like every book you own, the market can CRASH, and it wouldn't matter at all. If you go out and "invest" in stuff you personally think is garbage, you take the RISK that other "collectors" will realize the same thing. Buy what you like, and when the market crashes........buy more.

dont cry for me JC-tina.

I never said I started last year and bought CGC slabbed overpriced books. My collection is worth..well lets just say its been well-managed over the past 20 years...

Why do you always attack? You must want to [!@#%^&^] off EVERYONE around here.

Maybe you dont even realize it and just blurt these things out like a weird case of "comics tourette's syndrome". Just try reading your posts before you hit "continue" once in awhile and relax.

EDITED: I reread your comment. It sure sounded sarcastic, especially about losing a bundle. But I have paid top dollar at times years ago and come out ahead, which is what you said. SO if you werent attacking me here, Im sorry. BUT-- my point still stands that you should try to get along more while STILL expressing strong opinions. The others arent insufficiently_thoughtful_persons just cause they dont agree with you. And even if they are, who are YOU to tell them?

I think that a TRUE collector will only buy books that they actually want to own. By doing this, he eliminates the RISK factor. If you like every book you own, the market can CRASH, and it wouldn't matter at all.

This statement makes sense to a certain point. Buying what you like is certainly the way to go, but cannot entirely eliminate risk. No one wants to see the monetary value of their comics drop like a stone, no matter how much intrinsic value they hold. It is pure survival instinct to hang on too as much 'value' as you can in what you have, even if it means selling at a peak and re-buying in a trough.

Buy what you like, and when the market crashes........buy more.

This I can go along with......count me in. grin.gif

Actually, you're wrong.

say what???

Like I said, I wasn't yelling at you...just taking the opportunity to vent some steam on that topic. If you spend money on a collectible and go for a high grade copy--you HAVE to plan on getting it back or you are throwing money away. Otherwise just buy the lowest condition rag for as little as possible.

The beauty of only buying comics that you really like, is that most of those books will always HOLD their VALUE. The "market" is really nothing more than the JUSTIFICATION for spending more than cover price for any given issue. My collection could never become "worthless", because it's "value" is determined by me.

you HAVE to plan on getting it back or you are throwing money away. Otherwise just buy the lowest condition rag for as little as possible.

Rather oversimplifies things, do you think?

Why does buying a HG copy equate to wanting to get your money back? Collectors usually want the highest grade copy they can afford because of the pleasure in owning a clean great looking copy. I don't know too many collectors (re: none) that would be happy buying rags.

Part of the joy of collecting is searching out the nicest looking copy of a book for a price that you are comfortable paying. Sure if it holds its value, great, but most collectors are not motivated by what they may be able to sell the book for in years to come IMO.

"If you spend money on a collectible and go for a high grade copy--you HAVE to plan on getting it back or you are throwing money away."

Did you ever think that maybe people buy NM/MT copies of books because they want one that appears NEWSSTAND fresh? In a perfect world, collectors will one day "crack" these books out of their CGC holders, pull up a chair.....and begin READING that copy for the 1st time. Not everything is about MONEY. Some of us just ENJOY having unread copies of our favourite books.

Some of us just ENJOY having unread copies of our favourite books.

Well said.

It seems to be forgotten around here that one of the PRIME motivators of the comic collector is to re-obtain his chilhood treasures in like new condition.

If money was the prime motivation then he wouldn't be spending his cash on comic books.

>>If money was the prime motivation then he wouldn't be spending his cash on comic books.

That too will come to pass, as it always does. There are still a few specs sniffing around, but they all should be broke in 6-8 months.

I meant you were wrong about this:

Which makes me, I suspect, in your eyes, NOT a true collector.

I don't judge who is a "true collector" and who isn't, and I'm in no position to do so, although some feel they ARE in that position. I'm not one of these people.

I've heard it said before that if you have more then two of anything your considered a collector.

Are hoarders collectors? Are collectors hoarders? I think they're one in the same.

After reading some of these posts in this thread I'm more than convinced that there are high grade books yet to be slabbed. Others here like myself have said they have ones that haven't been graded. If there's a few folk here I imagine there are others that don't frequent this board. Yep! I still believe there are more high grades out there.