• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 194
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Just bought this book recently at a 9.4. After taking a closer look it seems to be a much lower grade. I checked around case no real big scratch’s, cracks, or signs of glue, so it doesn’t seem to be tampered with. The inner well is a little warped but besides that seems like a perfectly sealed case. I was hoping someone might have an explanation. Could this just be a case of over grading?

thanks for looking

image.thumb.jpg.f050668547105c96daed63bbc7d1cfa6.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.45f31846a38a37305fe8bf3dc051c2c8.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.b098f0385a40c6f74ee5d4380bb18c25.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.d1c324e21e129772cb08c1bd8021e9bd.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.fc1cbfc7ee2ae962e9dc148bda8beff2.jpg

Blunted lower left corner, slight staple tears, color breaking spine ticks, color breaking scratches along spine above UPC.

Are there any graders notes?

I do not have my books graded so I cannot comment on the case.

This is why folks say, buy the book, not the grade, and because it was graded by CGC you cannot fault the seller.

For whatever it's worth, IMO, this book is a VF/NM 9.0

9.0 VERY FINE/NEAR MINT (VF/NM):  Back to Top
Nearly perfect with outstanding eye appeal. A limited number of bindery/printing defects are allowed. Cover is almost flat with almost imperceptible wear. Inks are bright with slightly diminished reflectivity. An 1/8" bend is allowed if color is not broken. Corners are cut square and sharp with ever-so-slight blunting permitted but no creases. Several lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable. Very minor foxing. Spine is tight and flat. Staples may show some discoloration. Only the slightest staple tears are allowed. A very minor accumulation of stress lines may be present if they are nearly imperceptible. Paper is off-white to cream and supple. Very minor interior tears may be present.

On 5/21/2024 at 11:26 AM, marvelmaniac said:

Blunted lower left corner, slight staple tears, color breaking spine ticks, color breaking scratches along spine above UPC.

Are there any graders notes?

I do not have my books graded so I cannot comment on the case.

This is why folks say, buy the book, not the grade, and because it was graded by CGC you cannot fault the seller.

For whatever it's worth, IMO, this book is a VF/NM 9.0

9.0 VERY FINE/NEAR MINT (VF/NM):  Back to Top
Nearly perfect with outstanding eye appeal. A limited number of bindery/printing defects are allowed. Cover is almost flat with almost imperceptible wear. Inks are bright with slightly diminished reflectivity. An 1/8" bend is allowed if color is not broken. Corners are cut square and sharp with ever-so-slight blunting permitted but no creases. Several lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable. Very minor foxing. Spine is tight and flat. Staples may show some discoloration. Only the slightest staple tears are allowed. A very minor accumulation of stress lines may be present if they are nearly imperceptible. Paper is off-white to cream and supple. Very minor interior tears may be present.

No unfortunately there are no grader notes. About the buy the book not the grade, I’m still very happy with the way the book presents, very vibrant colours and the cover is still very glossy. Just with all the stress on the spine I wanted make sure that the slab wasn’t tampered with or anything.

I do not have my books graded, however, from what I have been reading on this site is that CGC is not/has not been very consistent on grading.

As long as you are happy with the book, that is all that matters, Enjoy It!!!

On 5/22/2024 at 1:28 PM, marvelmaniac said:

I do not have my books graded, however, from what I have been reading on this site is that CGC is not/has not been very consistent on grading.

Bingo. Raw books in a nice Mylar with a top loader look brilliant imo. But of course, collect what you like!