• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is This OK or Not OK?
1 1

50 posts in this topic

I had this happen to me once here. It was on Amazing Spider-man #133, which I had a heck of a time replacing (MVS?)

Anyway, I had boughten about 10 copies, and they were all fails at the NM level. 

I asked the seller to please check to make sure it was NM, so he did, and then he raised the asking price $10.

That was long ago within the first couple years of me joining the CGC boards.

Until the buyer says I will buy the book the price is not set in stone.  A question may prompt the seller to take a closer look at the book and may feel it was under-graded or feel the high-grade books are getting a premium compared to when it is priced which could result in the price going up.  I've had a few buyers request a discount based on the scans so is that ok?  I thought the price was suppose to be locked in place while the book was under review?

On 6/5/2024 at 9:55 AM, 1Cool said:

I've had a few buyers request a discount based on the scans so is that ok?  I thought the price was suppose to be locked in place while the book was under review?

I'd say this is normal back and forth. They are asking for a discount, and you can reply with a yes or no. Al of the needed information is known by each party. This guy raised the price without even mentioning it to me. 

Again, this book and the others I asked about are not hot books. I wasn't trying to catch him not updating a price. I just wanted a scan to make sure it was, in fact, an upgrade to the copy I already had.

Posted (edited)
On 6/5/2024 at 10:49 AM, electricprune said:

I'd say this is normal back and forth. They are asking for a discount, and you can reply with a yes or no. Al of the needed information is known by each party. This guy raised the price without even mentioning it to me. 

Again, this book and the others I asked about are not hot books. I wasn't trying to catch him not updating a price. I just wanted a scan to make sure it was, in fact, an upgrade to the copy I already had.

I guess he could have sent the scan and mentioned that the price was raised for X or Y reason but it really depends on how big a seller they are.  They could get 10 requests for additional pictures or scans each day and the mention about the price going up fell through the cracks.  Not buying from them again is a perfectly ok response the same way I've seen some sellers not sell to certain people if they feel that person is taking up too much of their time and never buying books.  Not everyone is a perfect buyer or seller to everyone. 

But a book price is fluid until the buyer says it is sold (if they tried to up the price after you said I'll buy it would be a different story).  I use to buy from a certain large dealer and would make bulk offers on a ton of books with maybe half having gotten hot and were way undervalued.  The dealer accepted the first one and then must have remembered my name so they started checking all the books in my offers and would reject the hot books and I would get stuck with the books with only a bit of meat left on the bone.  I ended up having to just buy them all outright and never had an issue with them fulfilling the orders.  Not the exact same situation but the second you don't buy the book then that price could be going up (or even down in a rare situation).  Nobody would complain if a big sale happened to coincide with you coming back for the book and the book was 25% cheaper - would you pay the original price?

Edited by 1Cool

On 6/5/2024 at 6:00 AM, lizards2 said:

I had this happen to me once here. It was on Amazing Spider-man #133, which I had a heck of a time replacing (MVS?)

Anyway, I had boughten about 10 copies, and they were all fails at the NM level. 

I asked the seller to please check to make sure it was NM, so he did, and then he raised the asking price $10.

That was long ago within the first couple years of me joining the CGC boards.

On this board, a few years ago, I was offering  X-Men 146s for $2 each and described them as being VF or better.  A dealer who used to frequent here pm'd me that he'd take 25, but they all had to be NM or better.  I wrote back saying the books were VF or better, but he wanted strict NMs I'd go through the bunch and pull the NMs for $5 each. He blew a gasket and called me some choice words. 

On 6/5/2024 at 1:33 PM, shadroch said:

On this board, a few years ago, I was offering  X-Men 146s for $2 each and described them as being VF or better.  A dealer who used to frequent here pm'd me that he'd take 25, but they all had to be NM or better.  I wrote back saying the books were VF or better, but he wanted strict NMs I'd go through the bunch and pull the NMs for $5 each. He blew a gasket and called me some choice words. 

Yeah. That was pretty lame of him to do that.