• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is This OK or Not OK?
1 1

50 posts in this topic

I was recently looking at a dealer’s website. I have purchased from the site before and everything was fine. Several books have front cover scans, but many don’t. I requested a scan for a book I was interested in, and it was emailed to me and posted to the site a few days later.

I liked how it looked and decided to order it. When I went back to the site a few days later, the price was 11% higher. This isn’t a hot book that was underpriced. I doubt there would have been some sort of price check had I not requested a scan.

Obviously, the business and pricing can be set in many different ways by the owner. I don’t think there was any force majeure here to validate the sudden price increase though.

What do you think? Would you still have ordered the book and others you wanted from the site?

I remembered what Stephan of Worldwide Comics said that he didn't know some books were so hot and were sold cheaper than what it was supposed to be.  He missed the chances to make the profits so he has to increase the prices on the books in case.

The dealers may think that book may be hot so they didn't want to miss the chance.  I think you just triggered the dealers.  I can't say if it's ok or not.

My two cents as someone who sells comics once in a while. If someone contacts me about a book the price is locked. If that person does not give me a reply, and I went through the trouble to do extra scans, it is fair game to raise the price if I discover it was priced too low. Basic idea is that sellers can do whatever they want prior to commitment to buy, but that does not mean you have to buy it at the higher price. 

On 5/25/2024 at 10:37 AM, JollyComics said:

I remembered what Stephan of Worldwide Comics said that he didn't know some books were so hot and were sold cheaper than what it was supposed to be.  He missed the chances to make the profits so he has to increase the prices on the books in case.

The dealers may think that book may be hot so they didn't want to miss the chance.  I think you just triggered the dealers.  I can't say if it's ok or not.

This book has pretty much a 0% chance of ever getting hot. This dealer is experienced enough to know that. No movie bumps here.

On 5/25/2024 at 9:53 AM, electricprune said:

This book has pretty much a 0% chance of ever getting hot. This dealer is experienced enough to know that. No movie bumps here.

I agreed with you.  The dealer must be desperate.  It's indeed NOT OK.

On 5/25/2024 at 12:12 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I don't disagree with this, but if I were the dealer I'd also honor the original price if the person originally asking about the book came back in a reasonable timeframe (within a week or so). I'd rather gain a customer than an 11% bump on a single book.

not unfair, but where do you draw the line?

What if it was 2 weeks? i think it get's slippery assigning an arbitrary amount of time that it would be acceptable. I do agree that the best business move would be to work with the buyer and gain a customer for life than to gain on the short term.

Posted (edited)

I visited a comic shop in my travels recently.  Ask for pulp (get a dumb look) ask for gold (wut?). Do you have any ten centers??  Sure they're in this box back here.  No prices.   But at least there's a box of gold!  Pulled a stack. Got quoted pretty high prices on most, picked up a couple out of politeness.

HATE unpriced comics.  Pretty common, though. 

Come back a month later on other travels considering picking one I'd left behind up.  They're all on the back wall, priced and marked up a good 30 or 40%.

Glad I could identify your hot books, buddy :D

I didn't buy or spend much time in the store on that visit :eyeroll:

In general, reassessing your books given the opportunity? OK.  Targeting a specific buyer cuz you know they want the book? Not OK.

Edited by Darwination

On 5/25/2024 at 1:08 PM, jimjum12 said:

PLUS $30 FOR SHIPPING.

Oh, no joke here. There was also a stated shipping cost on the online preset form. It didn’t give a maximum number of books for that stated cost. The cost I was given was almost twice the posted cost on the site.