• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM JIM #62 w/chipping (Marvel chipping?) & top edge browning

4 posts in this topic

Thank you for your help grading this book!

I'm wondering how much of a hit the chipping and top edge tanning will have on the grade?

Is it true CGC does not grade Marvel chipping too harshly?  How can you tell if the chipping is classified as Marvel chipping?  Or is all edge chipping on Marvel books from certain periods considered Marvel chipping?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

On 5/30/2024 at 11:27 AM, Pukie said:

Is it true CGC does not grade Marvel chipping too harshly?  I'm wondering how much of a hit the chipping and top edge tanning will have on the grade?

Not true.  The hit to a book's condition grade will be proportional to the amount of chipping present (and it can be quite significant).  I'd classify the degree of chipping to your JIM #62 as "moderate" (on a slight-moderate-heavy scale).  The oxidation shadow along your book's top edge is not particularly thick, but it is rather dark (and it looks like there's fraying and a bit of brittle chipping to the overcover).  I suspect you're looking at a CGC grade of 5.0 to 5.5.

Chipping-55c1.thumb.jpg.3530d5366f97cecdf4952eecd091fd78.jpg  Showgirls.png.ecee11a2488a655529a7f810c9e0ce9a.png

On 5/30/2024 at 11:27 AM, Pukie said:

How can you tell if the chipping is classified as Marvel chipping?  Or is all edge chipping on Marvel books from certain periods considered Marvel chipping?

Marvel chipping  (and pre-chipping) is a blemish observed on the unbound vertical edge.  I'm not aware of an "official" date range, but it's definitely most common on Atlas/Marvel books published between 1957 and 1963.

If by less harsh you mean not as hard as on the equivalent pieces missing from something else, yes. The guide says from 9.6 (very minor) to 4.0 (entire right edge). 5.0/5.5 is probably about right where other defects are contributing to the grade.

Thank you both for sharing your expertise and explaining it so concisely. 

The image with the grader notes was right on target.  Thanks.