• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Determining value when selecting a tier
1 1

3 posts in this topic

What methods or websites should I use to select the correct tier for submissions?  It seems that searching Google gets me wildly different variations.  For example, Amazing Spider-Man #300 looks to be selling anywhere from $390 to $10,000+, depending on grade of course.  Amazing Spider-Man #4 could fall under three different tiers depending on the grade.  If I were to send in a book that teeters between tiers based in a couple of points and it grades or lower than I would have expected, what happens then?  Do they ask me to pay the difference for the higher tier, or refund me the difference for a lower tier?

As far as resources to determine an idea of value, "gocollect" seems a like decent source as they have the ranges of grades and sales, would you agree?  What is the general consensus on how to research values prior to submitting?

Thanks.

Just select the most conservative tier for your book that’s within reason if you get lucky and score way higher rest assured cgc will come calling for more money 

One important consideration is insurance.  The value you select is the amount for which the book is insured while in CGC’s possession.  Let’s say you claim your Amazing Fantasy #15 is worth $100, in hopes of paying lower grading fees than you would if you called it a $60,000 book.  Keep in mind that if CGC or the shipping company loses your book, you would only get 100 bucks of insurance money to cover your loss.  So there can be a downside to underestimating the value.