• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Classic Cover" pulps
1 1

108 posts in this topic

On 6/17/2024 at 9:18 PM, lpsunburst said:

Perhaps CGC is using the wrong terms or perhaps should introduce the classification of "Iconic". For example, one of these is, in my mind at least, a classic while the other is truly "Iconic".

WT 1950.11.jpeg

JMW WT Image A.webp

This is actually a very good point... "Classic" vs "Iconic"   - Now that could be a fun poll to take on individual books both in comics and in pulps.

On 6/17/2024 at 8:18 PM, lpsunburst said:

Perhaps CGC is using the wrong terms or perhaps should introduce the classification of "Iconic". For example, one of these is, in my mind at least, a classic while the other is truly "Iconic".

Please, God, no. "Iconic" is now an even more gross cliché than "classic." 

It's all so arbitrary. Better for CGC to just not make any judgement at all about the cover art. 

Edited by Sarg
typo

On 6/23/2024 at 5:06 PM, Bookery said:

At the early pulp conventions, the official terms for cover-art like this was "Neat-O" and "Nifty".  Of course those collectors were rather old.  These terms, however, replaced "The Bees-Knees cover art" employed by the prior generation.

Since you were discussing the subject, I always considered "classic" to trump "icon". I also consider "classic" to possibly also draw from the content, where an "icon" cover is based on style and execution of the cover art only ... it could have a commode instructional inside. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu