• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who did this COVER ?

11 posts in this topic

I thought this may be of interest to many and could be an active and informative thread. It may be just me, but Google doesn't seem to be adept at providing artists for specific paperback covers. so what the heck. I'll start it off and it can die a natural death if need be. GOD BLESS .... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Honestly, I was first drawn to this PB because the gal has the sort of gams that can drive a young man to the docks for steady labor ....

Anybody know who did this cover? 

x6b0lOT.jpg

Edited by jimjum12

On 6/11/2024 at 4:10 PM, jimjum12 said:

I thought this may be of interest to many and could be an active and informative thread. It may be just me, but Google doesn't seem to be adept at providing artists for specific paperback covers. so what the heck. I'll start it off and it can die a natural death if need be. GOD BLESS .... 

Honestly, I was first drawn to this PB because the gal has the sort of gams that can drive a young man to the docks for steady labor ....

Anybody know who did this cover? 

x6b0lOT.jpg

Raymond Johnson

For posterity @jimjum12  Since Dan has sold out Illustration No. 77, I'll post an image of the Raymond Johnson checklist for your reference. This is only the paperbacks and digests and there are a few additions to it since publication, but this is certainly the bulk of his pb covers as agreed to by a panel of three collectors with pretty tough criteria for attribution. There's several dozen that one or two of us were quite sure about, but we only put covers that all three of us agreed were Johnson (or were signed or credited) on the list.   There's also dozens of foreign re-uses, we've listed a couple but we've all seen quite a few more, but beyond the scope of what we were trying to accomplish, which was US pbs, within Dan's deadline.

I saved it as high a res jpg as my pdf editor would allow. It's still a bit blurry so if you want a sharp pdf, you can pm me your email and I'll send a copy.

JohnsonChecklistPage-1.thumb.jpeg.83546be136462a8f8bb9ec29f1fa03a2.jpeg

On 6/12/2024 at 12:23 PM, Surfing Alien said:

For posterity @jimjum12  Since Dan has sold out Illustration No. 77, I'll post an image of the Raymond Johnson checklist for your reference. This is only the paperbacks and digests and there are a few additions to it since publication, but this is certainly the bulk of his pb covers as agreed to by a panel of three collectors with pretty tough criteria for attribution. There's several dozen that one or two of us were quite sure about, but we only put covers that all three of us agreed were Johnson (or were signed or credited) on the list.   There's also dozens of foreign re-uses, we've listed a couple but we've all seen quite a few more, but beyond the scope of what we were trying to accomplish, which was US pbs, within Dan's deadline.

I saved it as high a res jpg as my pdf editor would allow. It's still a bit blurry so if you want a sharp pdf, you can pm me your email and I'll send a copy.

JohnsonChecklistPage-1.thumb.jpeg.83546be136462a8f8bb9ec29f1fa03a2.jpeg

You obviously deduced that Johson is one of my very favorites. The more I look at" Blood Money", the more I question what was I thinking? I still see elements of his style in "Macamba", particularly in the brushwork and the level of animation that the gal posses ... it seems like a fair share of his work is not posed, as seems the case with many other artists. 

Thank you a LOT for this, and I will PM for high res. You're my hero :x GOD BLESS ...

On 6/12/2024 at 12:30 PM, jimjum12 said:

I still see elements of his style in "Macamba", particularly in the brushwork and the level of animation that the gal posses ... it seems like a fair share of his work is not posed, as seems the case with many other artists. 

Johnson actually did the second pb edition (Popular Library Eagle EB11) of "Macamba" - in an even more wildly animated fashion, and similar gams to "Infamy", with two back cover paintings. I don't have a high res scan but you get the drift...

popular_eb11.jpg.2fcb6c733c62193102de508037ede169.jpg

popular_eb11_bc.jpg.fd5d6661ef7d9e2777d64d328963c6b9.jpg

On 6/12/2024 at 3:35 PM, Darwination said:

I listened to the first few songs of that Toto album and would rather stab myself in the ear with an ice pick than soldier on :cry:

Am I to assume they weren't on their "Africa" game? GOD BLESS ...