• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This is really overpriced right?
2 2

29 posts in this topic

This book would be fantastic to own, however 400$ Is probably really far of what it worth really, im right? 

Screenshot_20240612_211549_eBay.thumb.jpg.93b71108ff07e7421fc82c6005bb0411.jpg

GPA says a coverless #7 sold for $350 in 2021, so yes it's a bit strong but I guess it's more or less in line with that.

I generally think paying an aggressive price for a coverless book is "unwise", as you will find a very small pool of buyers when it comes time to sell. Assuming $300-400 is the floor for pretty much any low-grade copy, personally I'd much rather have a copy with a decent cover that's missing a page or something.

On 6/12/2024 at 10:19 PM, Point Five said:

GPA says a coverless #7 sold for $350 in 2021, so yes it's a bit strong but I guess it's more or less in line with that.

I generally think paying an aggressive price for a coverless book is "unwise", as you will find a very small pool of buyers when it comes time to sell. Assuming $300-400 is the floor for pretty much any low-grade copy, personally I'd much rather have a copy with a decent cover that's missing a page or something.

I decided to start a coverless collection recently so it was not the question, will never accept a book with his cover who give me nothing but who have the story affected by a missing page it's a non sense for me...

The fact is that if it's too much but closer of the prices I could overpaid a bit considering that It's hard to find the bottom condition... I mean if I find a 0.5 with a cover even if deadly the bill will be over this ammount...

350 is more than what I tought... honestly in my mind it couldn't have been worth more than the half so maybe it isn't really bad.

That splash page looks as good as many covers, to me, at least. But @Point Five is right about the small pool of collectors who would line up for it when your time with it ends. So get this book only if it’s worth it to you. As a collector of single pages, I overcome this dilemma with every acquisition 

If there is something special about a splash page, then owning a slabbed coverless is definitely worth paying a premium for.  I don't feel that's really the case with this example though.  But for example, Detective Comics #58, first appearance of Penguin, the featured new character is not on the cover, but on page 1.  I'd personally rather own a slabbed coverless of that issue than a low grade example.  But then again, I'm a little tetched in the head that way  :frustrated:

Edited by Joseph Ragno

On 6/13/2024 at 12:31 AM, BA773 said:

I decided to start a coverless collection recently so it was not the question, will never accept a book with his cover who give me nothing but who have the story affected by a missing page it's a non sense for me...

The fact is that if it's too much but closer of the prices I could overpaid a bit considering that It's hard to find the bottom condition... I mean if I find a 0.5 with a cover even if deadly the bill will be over this ammount...

350 is more than what I tought... honestly in my mind it couldn't have been worth more than the half so maybe it isn't really bad.

The All-Star #7 is pricey for a coverless, and as Joseph Ragno rightly points out it's not a key. There's a reason it's priced as a Buy-It-Now... if the seller listed it as an auction, who knows, it might finish at $150 (minus another $30 in ebay fees). Hard to know.

On 6/13/2024 at 1:41 PM, Joseph Ragno said:

If there is something special about a splash page, then owning a slabbed coverless is definitely worth paying a premium for.  I don't feel that's really the case with this example though.  But for example, Detective Comics #58, first appearance of Penguin, the featured new character is not on the cover, but on page 1.  I'd personally rather own a slabbed coverless of that issue than a low grade example.  But then again, I'm a little tetched in the head that way  :frustrated:

We re exactly same on this point and it's why I start to buy coverless, I'm just too worried by many defects on covers so for me coverless is the best way to don't have to carry about.

On 6/13/2024 at 1:53 PM, Point Five said:

The All-Star #7 is pricey for a coverless, and as Joseph Ragno rightly points out it's not a key. There's a reason it's priced as a Buy-It-Now... if the seller listed it as an auction, who knows, it might finish at $150 (minus another $30 in ebay fees). Hard to know.

Thanks. 

However I'm surprised the first meeting between Supes and Bat isn't considered as a key ???

On 6/13/2024 at 9:18 AM, BA773 said:

Thanks. 

However I'm surprised the first meeting between Supes and Bat isn't considered as a key ???

Well, it's "key" enough to be mentioned on the label.  But you still don't see it on splash page 1.  They appear together on almost the last page.  Frankly, that's the only page I'd care to own of this issue.  And although it is the first time they appear in the same story, it's not the first time they appear on the same page... this is...

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJnb2NvbGxlY3QuaW1hZ2VzLnB1YiIsImtleSI6ImNjNWRmNzExLTU4ZDUtNDI3OS04NTY1LWFiYjc2N2MzN2U3My5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6W119.webp

On 6/13/2024 at 4:15 PM, Joseph Ragno said:

Well, it's "key" enough to be mentioned on the label.  But you still don't see it on splash page 1.  They appear together on almost the last page.  Frankly, that's the only page I'd care to own of this issue.  And although it is the first time they appear in the same story, it's not the first time they appear on the same page... this is...

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJnb2NvbGxlY3QuaW1hZ2VzLnB1YiIsImtleSI6ImNjNWRmNzExLTU4ZDUtNDI3OS04NTY1LWFiYjc2N2MzN2U3My5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6W119.webp

But why are you focused on the first page? I buy the book not the page? 

(And by evidence the slab will be cracked one minute after I got it if I got it lol)  

Your page don't work! They re not meet... I just see superman in action and aside an announce for a bat book, batman isn't physically appear

To each his own.  You say you focus on the book (as do most comic collectors).  Fine... but your book is COVERLESS.  That's a big part of "the book."  Some collectors, like me, like to focus on what's special about "the book".  And with most all collectibles, you can actually see what's special about it.  But what is special about the storyline of a comic or character, you usually can't see when it's slabbed.  That's why I collect pages.  That's what "does it" for me.  I don't like to spend a lot of money on a collectible, and not be able to see the special part of it because it's buried inside the slab unseen.  That page that I posted that "don't work" for you is my most prized collectible... the first public image of Batman, predating Detective 27.  So, collect what you like.  But I predict the page that "don't work" for you will soar in value with time.

Edited by Joseph Ragno

On 6/13/2024 at 5:52 PM, Joseph Ragno said:

To each his own.  You say you focus on the book (as do most comic collectors).  Fine... but your book is COVERLESS.  That's a big part of "the book."  Some collectors, like me, like to focus on what's special about "the book".  And with most all collectibles, you can actually see what's special about it.  But what is special about the storyline of a comic or character, you usually can't see when it's slabbed.  That's why I collect pages.  That's what "does it" for me.  I don't like to spend a lot of money on a collectible, and not be able to see the special part of it because it's buried inside the slab unseen.  That page that I posted that "don't work" for you is my most prized collectible... the first public image of Batman, predating Detective 27.  So, collect what you like.  But I predict the page that "don't work" for you will soar in value with time.

Yes I don't work in the sense of that it's not a real meet but I don't say that it doesn't work in term of spec, this way you probably got the gold.

Honestly I asked what people tought about 400 but I never excepted to paid the whole price, seller was open to offer so I asked him. I can get it for 300 now, it's tempting but... idk :shiftyeyes:

On 6/13/2024 at 8:52 AM, Joseph Ragno said:

My guess is that if someone offered up the page in AS 7 where Superman first meets Batman in a story it would be worth $300 today on the open market:

img_3361.png?w=1136&h=640

Page collectors are going a little crazy and that is a key moment which predates the other Superman-Batman meetings in story continuity by years (but does not necessarily predate the cover appearances together, does it?).

On 6/12/2024 at 9:31 PM, BA773 said:

There was a time when complete books would cost as much as a used car but you could buy complete coverless keys from the golden age for the cost of a bike and loose but complete debut stories for the cost of a pair of sneakers.

On 6/13/2024 at 9:31 PM, BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES said:

There was a time when complete books would cost as much as a used car but you could buy complete coverless keys from the golden age for the cost of a bike and loose but complete debut stories for the cost of a pair of sneakers.

My English is too bad to got it but it seems to be an interesting saying, could you explain it please? lol

On 6/13/2024 at 9:08 PM, sfcityduck said:

My guess is that if someone offered up the page in AS 7 where Superman first meets Batman in a story it would be worth $300 today on the open market:

img_3361.png?w=1136&h=640

Page collectors are going a little crazy and that is a key moment which predates the other Superman-Batman meetings in story continuity by years (but does not necessarily predate the cover appearances together, does it?).

I never seen the panel before... now you have show it I just want to pull the trigger, and as I said the seller accept for 300 now :ohnoez:

Asking the people acoutumed to handle GA books, are the pages really brittle?