• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Akira Question

6 posts in this topic

On 6/15/2024 at 1:21 AM, WernerVonDoom said:

Is it possible to read an issue of Akira without getting a reader's crease on the back? I'm a careful reader and it seems like all of mine have a reader's crease on the back.

If not, and you send these to be graded, how does CGC go through it without creasing them?

An Epic issue?  Not really... no. :(  I mean, you can open the issues but certainly not all the way.  The best chance you have is to read the tpb's (either the Epic ones or the DH ones).  That or just deal with the back crease.  I was pretty careful with mine (I have 1-38) so I'd like to think the spine creases are as thin as possible - if there are all.  It's more about opening just enough and not as much, for example, as if you'd have to in order to see a double-page spread. 

As far as CGC goes, I guess in the same way.  You can open and peek in without FULLY opening it wide.  

The Japanese had the right idea, in their "collected editions" they are very easily opened, as the spines aren't hard, but they are bound in a plastic-like book with a wrap.  Awesome stuff, I have those 6 too.  Of course they are like phone book* paper and B&W, but still cool.

*Anyone old enough to recall what a phone book is?  

On 6/15/2024 at 7:47 PM, pmpknface said:

An Epic issue?  Not really... no. :(  I mean, you can open the issues but certainly not all the way.  The best chance you have is to read the tpb's (either the Epic ones or the DH ones).  That or just deal with the back crease.  I was pretty careful with mine (I have 1-38) so I'd like to think the spine creases are as thin as possible - if there are all.  It's more about opening just enough and not as much, for example, as if you'd have to in order to see a double-page spread. 

As far as CGC goes, I guess in the same way.  You can open and peek in without FULLY opening it wide.  

The Japanese had the right idea, in their "collected editions" they are very easily opened, as the spines aren't hard, but they are bound in a plastic-like book with a wrap.  Awesome stuff, I have those 6 too.  Of course they are like phone book* paper and B&W, but still cool.

*Anyone old enough to recall what a phone book is?  

Ya, unfortunately I loved Akira (saw the movie in the theater when it came out) so I had to see the full page spreads. Oh well.

On 6/16/2024 at 3:35 AM, WernerVonDoom said:

Ya, unfortunately I loved Akira (saw the movie in the theater when it came out) so I had to see the full page spreads. Oh well.

I think there is a boxed set collection too. It's meant to be in B&W, so think of it that way. It was only colored for US audiences. 

I'm a huge fan, I even have a cel of Tetsuo from it. Maybe I'll open up my "Art of Wall" collection of it today!

On 6/16/2024 at 12:35 AM, WernerVonDoom said:

I thought I was the only one here both lucky enough and old enough to have seen it in the theater on its original US release.  I know it only showed up in a specialty theater near the University of Washington for one week, I actually caught it twice.  I convinced some friends that they had to come see it before it left after I saw it the first time.  Inexplicably they didn't care for it.

On 6/16/2024 at 9:21 AM, OtherEric said:

I thought I was the only one here both lucky enough and old enough to have seen it in the theater on its original US release.  I know it only showed up in a specialty theater near the University of Washington for one week, I actually caught it twice.  I convinced some friends that they had to come see it before it left after I saw it the first time.  Inexplicably they didn't care for it.

If I remember correctly, it was playing in a small theater 30 miles from my house. I have no idea what made us go - must have read about it in a newspaper. lol.