• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your first backissues "expensive"...

75 posts in this topic

Then about 1997 or so I took the plunge in a big way into Golden Age collecting, and spent the until-then unthinkable sum of $160 for a Very Good Minus copy of All-Star Comics #38 (the "JSA Death Issue.") For the next 5 years or so, $160 was the most I would ever spend on a single comic.

Zonker, that's funny and refreshing. I did too decide I wouldn't pay more for any comic than what I paid for my FC 386, about $85 (as it is the key book in my current collecting goals) [N.B.: I have paid more for a couple of comics when I started collecting and overpaid for those but those were still a cheap learning curve so I consider myself lucky] but as a consequence, I really have to slide down the condition scale to buy some of the books I want. We'll see how long I last, especially since I do want a decent looking & complete Batman # 69.

I do want a decent looking & complete Batman # 69.

I like Detective #69 better. laugh.gif

Maybe so but I stand a better chance at getting a solid copy of Bats 69 for $ 85 than I do 'Tec 69!!

Metro's FN- Bats 69 is $ 365. Russ's solid VG+ was $150 ~ $160.

Metro's FN 'Tec 69 is $ 585 and their Fr copy is still $ 135.

hulk 181

MAybe Pedro should rephrase the questions:

How many people bought Hulk #181 as their first big book... 27_laughing.gif

Yeah, it's interesting to me how many customers we have that typically spend less than $50 on a comic but do have a 9.0 GS X-Men 1 or 8.0 or better Hulk 181. Those are the exceptions/grails for so many people.

For me the one that really stands out was buying comics through the mail for the first time. Batman 21 and 30, plus 61 and Tec 116. Easily the most I'd ever spent and my first GA too. I think they averaged $20 each and I was maybe in 9th or 10th grade, early 80s.

The first over $100 book was for Detective 36 and 37 from someone's full page ad in CBG and first $200+ was Batman #2 at $220 GD+ (today's 3.0-3.5) from the Dentist.

Fun times.

Marc

1969- my dad purchased a Action #34, and a Superman #10 for me for Christmas, both about vg+ grade, for $20 each.

1970-dad again a Adventure 94, Batman 14 and 15, all three about vg/vg+ for $20 each.

1976- Conan #1, nm for $50 (At this point, my dad said I was own my own money wise as far as purchasing "old" comics went, so with my own money from newspaper deliveries and other work)

1977-WF #4, again nm, not restored, for $100.

1979- Spider-man #39, and 40, both for $80, once again, true nm, maybe nm+

1980-Silver Surfer #1, vf, for $35

1981- Action 133, fine, for $30

1983- Planet comics 53, vf, for $75

1986- Action comics 104, true nm, for $150

1987--Action comics #30, $1000 for the Mile High copy from Ray Belden in Chi.. Sold it not too much after for a profit.

1989--FF #48, vf+ or vf/nm, for $200

1992-fantastic Four #1, vf+, turned out many years later I found out it had been pressed and cleaned, purchased for $4000

to everyone

what were your first "expensive" backissues when you started being a more serious collector/fan?!

regards

the first expensive book i bought was an iron man #1 in VG for $40 back in about 1983/84 from mile high comics.Sadly that book probably still isn't worth that much!!!-Bah!-mile high sucks!-Dave

I bought an Amazing Spiderman #3 from outer limits for $75 back in the late 80's from Outer Limits in Waltham MA. Had to deliver a bunch of papers for that one. But the issues at Shocase and the Boston shows were BTFU and asking prices were $100 and up. Came back from CGC 15 years later a 5.5. I too had a rule that I would never buy a book for more than $100.

In 1999 I bought a CGC 5.5 AF 15 from France for $2000, took a chance from an ebay seller and it was delivered (whew)