• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

That's Just Like, Your Opinion, Man
2 2

41 posts in this topic

On 6/21/2024 at 9:44 AM, CitrusZ28 said:

Yes, back then I had conventions which were hit or miss as far as what was available, especially since I didn't live in a major market that had huge conventions, only smaller ones with few out-of-state dealers attending, so selection was limited and you would take what you could get. Later on in the 80's I discovered the Comic Buyers Guide from which I procured many of my golden age books.

I started out trading with my friends and hitting garage sales. When I could get to used book stores and flea markets, my world expanded. There were no comic stores or mail order.

My dad took me to Hollywood and I found Cherokee Books, Collector’s Book Store and Bond Street Books. Mind blowing selections of books all the way back to the GA for a price. It was Cherokee where I first spent more than cover price for a comic.

Then came small gatherings of collectors at the Hollywood Women’s club and the 3rd San Diego Comic Con.

Pretty soon later was mail order and the Comic Buyer’s Guide when my collecting really opened up. Which rolled into EBay. I was buying like a drunken sailor.

Most of these venues have started sliding backwards again. Maybe it’s I have most of what I want. For sure current prices are factored in as well.

Been a fun ride. I was luckily to have grown up in LA where there has always been a strong collecting community.