• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Calgary Red & White Expo - June 23, 2024

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

The show was well attended. Phoenix Comics said they gave out over 7500 passes and it was packed during the peak. This year there were more comic and toy vendors, and since I had help (my son) with me at the show I was able to shop a bit when things slowed down during the last two hours. I found some high grade late bronze Batman and Tec villain covers that I am currently accumulating copies of for very reasonable prices. That made me kick myself for not going around earlier as I am sure that a couple of the sellers had more.

Sales were okay for me. Lower than last year, but for this show I brought the wrong stuff with me. The past two years it was Silver and Bronze as well as higher value moderns that drove sales. This year it was mostly the limited number of modern retail boxes instead, which I did not have enough of as it turned out.

This Red & White show is also my last one. I have been doing them since 1998 or 1999 when I was in university, but I have hit the wall with the number of shows I want to be doing going forward. There are too many to keep up with in Edmonton as it is, let alone the rest of the province.

Phoenix Comics does a great job with the show and it will continue to thrive. @thehumantorch and @Artboy99 will still be there, as well as @Dreamsleep, with their usual great stuff.

Edited by kimik

Slower show for us than usual but did ok.  There were a lot of comic vendors in the room and quite a few good books from all eras.  

There’s a seller that I’ve bought from at a few local shows that I didn’t see until the show was almost over.  He said I missed out and pointed to 8 longs behind his booth that another dealer bought from him.  This seller brings tons of 50s and 60s books in beat up bags and typically in low grade and sometimes incomplete  but he’s there to sell and I’ve done very well buying longs from him.  

On 6/24/2024 at 5:30 PM, thehumantorch said:

Slower show for us than usual but did ok.  There were a lot of comic vendors in the room and quite a few good books from all eras.  

There’s a seller that I’ve bought from at a few local shows that I didn’t see until the show was almost over.  He said I missed out and pointed to 8 longs behind his booth that another dealer bought from him.  This seller brings tons of 50s and 60s books in beat up bags and typically in low grade and sometimes incomplete  but he’s there to sell and I’ve done very well buying longs from him.  

no clue how we would have transported them home, unless he would have been willing to lug them home and we pick them up later.

On 6/24/2024 at 8:36 PM, Artboy99 said:

no clue how we would have transported them home,

Same problem with me at Kelowna ComiCon (KCC). Wanted to buy at least 4 longs of bulk comics but would have had to find a way to strap them to roof of SUV and drive through rain returning to home base. Hopefully, no Red and White date conflict next summer with KCC which has reserved weekend of June 28-29, 2025.

Hey folks, gonna be out in Calgary next week, any back issue spots worth hitting up? My only regular spot I make a point of going to is Purple Gorilla (although that has been hit and miss, I just like the fella who runs it), would love any other recs folks have to give! 

On 7/17/2024 at 10:35 AM, rlextherobot said:

Hey folks, gonna be out in Calgary next week, any back issue spots worth hitting up? My only regular spot I make a point of going to is Purple Gorilla (although that has been hit and miss, I just like the fella who runs it), would love any other recs folks have to give! 

If you were to come 300 km north to Edmonton you'd have better luck.  Ultimate Key Comics usually has some nice books and Lee at Comic Fever also has nice stuff.  And there's a newish shop on the South side , Sanctum Comics, has some interesting stuff.  I'm not aware of any stores in Calgary worth hitting although I don't spend much time looking there.

On 7/18/2024 at 3:42 PM, rlextherobot said:

Thanks @thehumantorch! I'll be out Edmonton way in September for Purple City Music Festival - last year I even got to hit up an old school hotel comic show when I was in town, hoping for similar luck this year. 

Here's what I see coming up

https://edtoyshow.com/  Oct 20 Pretty good 1 day show

https://fanexpohq.com/edmontonexpo/  Sept 20-22 3 day show

https://www.facebook.com/PopCultureFair/  Usually runs 1 in the fall.  I don't see an announced date yet