• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

small 1/4 inch piece out of top right cover - grading impact ?

5 posts in this topic

I have a silver age marvel with a small triangle piece out of top right edge of the front cover  - book looks to be in the 7.0-7.5 range otherwise 

Is it worth grading ? whats the max grade it can get?

thanks 

Books are graded in their entirety, however a missing piece that large is only allowed in much lower grades.

I would suggest you open a thread in the https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/ section with sharp/clear pics of the front and rear covers, inside and out and pics of the spine/staples along with the centerfold so folks that have actual experience with how CGC usually views missing pieces can chime in.

I cannot speak for CGC, however, if that were my book I would drop the grade a minimum of 2 places if it graded VG/FN 5.0 or higher, the higher the grade the more impact the missing piece will have on the grade. IMO, if the book were to grade at a FN/VF 7.0 without the piece missing it not grade any higher than a VG/FN 5.0 with the missing piece.

As far as just looking at missing pieces...(Heritage/Overstreet Grading Standards)

VG/FN 5.0 - No Missing Pieces Are Allowed

VG 4.0 - As much as a 1/4" triangle can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" square is also acceptable.

GD/VG 3.0 - A triangle from 1/4" to 1/2" can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" to 1/4" square is also acceptable. 

GD 2.0 - The largest piece allowed missing from the front or back cover is usually a 1/2" triangle or a 1/4" square, 

FR/GD 1.5 - Up to 1/10 of the back cover may be missing. 

As far as grading, with that being said, this all depends on why you want the book graded and slabbed, if you are planning to sell then grading may be worth the expense, if this is for your own personal collection to enjoy, just know...

I have nothing against CGC or folks that have their books graded, however, CGC slabs do not offer any more protection than a Mylite and Acid Free Board, the slabs are not airtight and are not UV protected, they need to be stored in the same, proper conditions as raw books or any paper products, away from all UV light, in a controlled temp/humidity environment (no unfinished basements/attics/garages), away from all sources of heat and moisture.

I check FMV on my top books every 6 month's (using eBay sold auction prices since this is what folks are actually paying), my ST 107 (FN- 5.5, graded by me) had a FMV as of December 2023 of $200.00, as far as CGC graded books go using eBay, there were only 9 copies of ST 107 sold between April and June of this year and only 3 were graded books, Two CGC VG/FN 5.0 sold for $202.00 and $218.00, a CGC graded VG 4.0 sold for $118.00.

There is a third option if you want to display the book and still be able to read it at a relatively lower cost, a UV protected frame.

https://www.bcwsupplies.com/comic-book-showcase-silver-uv

H1-Framed-Books.jpg