• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Auctions Sept 12-15
1 1

262 posts in this topic

On 9/13/2024 at 6:09 PM, TheLexLuthorCollection said:

As a fan of Curt Swan art, I too am shocked at this price.  $144K?  Surely a record for Swan art.

I don't know if it's quite a "classic cover" but it's a very well-known and memorable cover from that era. I know many will say that it's way cringey and I've even heard "undisplayable", viewing it as racist and culture appropriating in 2024, but, FFS, it was 1970 people, and it was a then-honest attempt at bridging the racial divide at the time (even if it hasn't aged well since then). I'm not surprised at all personally by the final price; I thought it would go around $150K. 

Edited by delekkerste

On 9/13/2024 at 6:30 PM, delekkerste said:

I don't know if it's quite a "classic cover" but it's a very well-known and memorable cover from that era. I know many will say that it's way cringey and I've even heard "undisplayable", viewing it as racist and culture appropriating in 2024, but, FFS, it was 1970 people and it was then an honest attempt at bridging the racial divide at the time (even if it hasn't aged well since then). I'm not surprised at all personally by the final price; I thought it would go around $150K. 

I have several copies of the comic book and the funny thing is that nobody even cared about this book/cover/content until 2016/2017. 

I was picking up high grade copies for $10-15 each, when the book suddenly became collectible for whatever reason.

On 9/13/2024 at 7:52 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I have several copies of the comic book and the funny thing is that nobody even cared about this book/cover/content until 2016/2017. 

I was picking up high grade copies for $10-15 each, when the book suddenly became collectible for whatever reason.

I remember when it came out, and it struck me as …childish. But then, DC also thought it could liven up sales with checkerboards on their covers.

On 9/14/2024 at 1:58 AM, delekkerste said:

I'm in a couple of chat groups following the auction...there have been more than a few lots that have come in below expectations. The Adams Av #93 splash, the Kane Conan #70 cover w/Belit, the BWS Weapon X page, the Miller DKR page, etc. 

The BWS Weapon X page really surprised me.