• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question for buyers/sellers on CGC Mislabeled Books
1 1

8 posts in this topic

CGC slightly mislabeled one of my books that came back a few months ago. It is the OX variant not the Metal Edition OX variant listed on the label (and checking the submission form I correctly listed it as the standard OX version - not the metal edition).  I didn't catch this mistake at the time. Since it didn't hit a 9.8 I'm going to sell it but I'm wondering how much of an issue this might be for buyers. It is not a major mistake like the wrong issue number or title of the book etc so I'm wondering what anyone's experience might have been either buying or selling something like this. (I don't want to aggravate a buyer obviously). Thanks.

Copy.thumb.jpeg.3412996254f33433e4418f9c0bd62fc0.jpeg

Edited by Pixx_L

I usually buy for my personal collection, so label errors don't bother me too much.  I know what it really is, and it isn't too hard to get the label corrected if needed.  However, this should be considered a mechanical error/label error, so they should correct it with a reholder at no charge.  I know they say two weeks is their limit, but it's not in their best interests to have their mistakes out in the market.

On 6/26/2024 at 1:47 PM, wardevil0 said:

it's not in their best interests to have their mistakes out in the market.

Bingo.

I dont know what the actual statute of limitations is for bad label info but there shouldn't be one, if there is.

as a buyer, its not ideal.

As a seller, you're probably limiting your market or risking losing some potential extra value at least.

Not quite the same thing, but I did have an experience recently where I bulk-bought a collection of CGC-graded books, and one of the books had a cracked case. I could have sent it back to get fixed (I think in that case it would have been at my expense though), but I opted to sell it as-is on eBay. I included a TON of pictures and disclaimers so the buyer would know exactly what they were getting. I also priced it well below any other comparables. It sold quickly - I was happy because I had plenty of margin and made money; the seller was happy because they got a deal.

So if you really don't care about potential lost profits (i.e., you're not going to lose money or you're comfortable with any potential loss), there's nothing inherently wrong with selling it as-is, as long as you make the buyers aware - as much to cover yourself as to do the right thing by them.

From what I understand, there is no statue of limitations for label errors. They'll fix it free of charge regardless of how long it's been. But these guys (CGC) are constantly moving the goalposts, so don't quote me. Check with @CGC Mike for up-to-date protocols.

• Administrator

Label defects can be submitted anytime as a mechanical error.  There is no expiration date.  Just fill out an online submission form by selecting the mechanical error option.  A prepaid shipping label will automatically be sent to US residents through our website. (not by e-mail)  If you are not a US resident, you will need to go through customer service to get the shipping label.