• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Deduction for tape?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I’m looking at buying a silver age book, and there’s 3 pieces of old tape on the interior cover. I’m not sure if they are archival, but I don’t think they are. Atleast they don’t seem to serve a purpose, there’s no tears under each piece of tape. What kind of grade deduction what I would be looking at? They are each like a small piece of tape, around the size you might cut off to put on the back of a bag/board to close it with the comic inside. I’d say the book is presents around a 6.0-7.0.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 6/29/2024 at 2:07 PM, KCOComics said:

I believe they treat it as though the tape isn't there. 

I interpret that as, if the cover is detached and held on by tape, they would grade it as if the cover was detached. 

What is the tapes purpose? 

No purpose. It’s literally just inside the interior cover. No tears, no holding anything loose together.

I believe three pieces of tape as described will have more of an impact than what has been discusses so far.  Like virtually any defect, it is a matter of degree. 

From the CGC grading guide: "Minor tape serving no function has little effect on midgrade comics, but large amounts of tape, such as a strip along the  entire spine, can lower a grade to around 4.0."

Three pieces of tape around the size one might use to seal a comic bag is going to be what - maybe three to four inches of tape total?  That's not the same as an entire spine (ten inches) but it doesn't sound like a "minor" amount of tape either. So I believe the amount of tape being discussed will have some effect on the final grade. 

Not mentioned is if the old tape is staining the paper. If it is the impact on grade could be more.  

On 6/29/2024 at 8:17 PM, Tony S said:

I believe three pieces of tape as described will have more of an impact than what has been discusses so far.  Like virtually any defect, it is a matter of degree. 

From the CGC grading guide: "Minor tape serving no function has little effect on midgrade comics, but large amounts of tape, such as a strip along the  entire spine, can lower a grade to around 4.0."

Three pieces of tape around the size one might use to seal a comic bag is going to be what - maybe three to four inches of tape total?  That's not the same as an entire spine (ten inches) but it doesn't sound like a "minor" amount of tape either. So I believe the amount of tape being discussed will have some effect on the final grade. 

Not mentioned is if the old tape is staining the paper. If it is the impact on grade could be more.  

No tape staining, but I think your estimate on the amount of tape is about right. So possibly expect a small drop in grade.

Edited by LDarkseid1

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/3327/CGC-Modifies-Stance-on-Grading-Submissions-with-Tape/

VG 4.0 - Only minor unobtrusive tape and other amateur repair allowed on otherwise high grade copies.

GD/VG 3.0 - Tape and other amateur repair may be present. 

GD 2.0 - Tape and other forms of amateur repair are common in Silver Age and older books.

On 6/30/2024 at 8:47 AM, marvelmaniac said:

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/3327/CGC-Modifies-Stance-on-Grading-Submissions-with-Tape/

VG 4.0 - Only minor unobtrusive tape and other amateur repair allowed on otherwise high grade copies.

GD/VG 3.0 - Tape and other amateur repair may be present. 

GD 2.0 - Tape and other forms of amateur repair are common in Silver Age and older books.

These were the best examples I could find, which were graded post 2013. Mainly golden age though. All varying degrees of tape, interior and exterior.

IMG_2274.jpeg

IMG_2275.jpeg

IMG_2276.jpeg

IMG_2278.jpeg

IMG_2279.jpeg

IMG_2281.jpeg

Books are graded in their entirety, usually when I post things such as I did I preface it by stating "as applying to tape only" (or bindery tears/spine splits, pieces missing, etc.) I am old school and have been using the Overstreet (and now Heritage) grading standards for 30 years so that is what I post and I am also a conservative grader, when folks post that CGC now allows this or that or does not deduct for this or that, I would have no idea about that.

From what I understand Golden Age books receive special treatment due to their age, the DD 1 shown states "1 piece of tape on interior" so VG+ 4.5 is not a stretch as far as grading since VG+ does not offer any specifics such as VG 4.0 and VG/FN 5.0 do, VG+ 4.5 is a "Goldilocks" between the two.

In the 40's/50's/60's tape was a common practice/occurrence and was not only used to repair tears/falling off pieces but also to prevent tears from happening, especially along the spine, I have numerous books with tape and have no problem with that, to me, they are just comic books.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_Hollinger

Other books that have tape but may grade much higher without the tape may/will get a grade deduction based on what defect the tape is supposedly hiding/repairing (that is how CGC views tape) and could still grade in the FN 6.0 or higher range if they would have graded higher.

When I was grading my books back in 2015 my DD 131 got caught on the sticky tape residue on the bag and created a tape pull/tear, I taped it on the inside cover so it would not get worse and cataloged the book as "Would be FN- 5.5 except for the tear/tape, final grade GD/VG 3.0".

Daredevil-131-GD-VG-3-0-or-FN-5-5-Withou

I have nothing against CGC or folks that have their books graded, CGC is providing a valuable service, however, I do not have my books graded and from everything I have been reading/seeing on this site is that CGC has not been consistent in their grading and seem to change/edit their grading standards as they go along, that is normal for folks to view things differently as they get older or as time goes by.

On 6/30/2024 at 12:52 PM, marvelmaniac said:

Books are graded in their entirety, usually when I post things such as I did I preface it by stating "as applying to tape only" (or bindery tears/spine splits, pieces missing, etc.) I am old school and have been using the Overstreet (and now Heritage) grading standards for 30 years so that is what I post and I am also a conservative grader, when folks post that CGC now allows this or that or does not deduct for this or that, I would have no idea about that.

From what I understand Golden Age books receive special treatment due to their age, the DD 1 shown states "1 piece of tape on interior" so VG+ 4.5 is not a stretch as far as grading since VG+ does not offer any specifics such as VG 4.0 and VG/FN 5.0 do, VG+ 4.5 is a "Goldilocks" between the two.

In the 40's/50's/60's tape was a common practice/occurrence and was not only used to repair tears/falling off pieces but also to prevent tears from happening, especially along the spine, I have numerous books with tape and have no problem with that, to me, they are just comic books.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_Hollinger

Other books that have tape but may grade much higher without the tape may/will get a grade deduction based on what defect the tape is supposedly hiding/repairing (that is how CGC views tape) and could still grade in the FN 6.0 or higher range if they would have graded higher.

When I was grading my books back in 2015 my DD 131 got caught on the sticky tape residue on the bag and created a tape pull/tear, I taped it on the inside cover so it would not get worse and cataloged the book as "Would be FN- 5.5 except for the tear/tape, final grade GD/VG 3.0".

Daredevil-131-GD-VG-3-0-or-FN-5-5-Withou

I have nothing against CGC or folks that have their books graded, CGC is providing a valuable service, however, I do not have my books graded and from everything I have been reading/seeing on this site is that CGC has not been consistent in their grading and seem to change/edit their grading standards as they go along, that is normal for folks to view things differently as they get older or as time goes by.

Fair points. Yeah I like to grade, for multiple reasons, but to each their own of course. Will post the book after I get it graded.