• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slab defect?This is strange to me
3 3

29 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)
On 7/6/2024 at 8:18 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

(shrug)

Spider-Man #1 - Black Silver & Green Covers - Todd McFarlane Marvel Comics 1990 - Picture 1 of 15

hm

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1 CGC-SS 7.5 SIGNED STAN LEE ASM CREATOR PREMIERE ISSUE 1963 - Picture 1 of 6

MARVEL TEAM-UP #1 CGC 8.0 1st issue! Spider-Man, Human Torch, Sandman (1972)

Spectacular Spider-Man Peter Parker #1 CGC 9.8 SS Lee 1976 1406033033

Web of Spider-Man 1N Vess Newsstand Variant CGC 9.8 1985 3961555022

Batman Legends Of The Dark Knight #1 Lot Of 4, All Four Cover Colors! - Picture 1 of 9

:whistle:

I used qualifications like "make an argument", cause I knew some boardie who wants to look really smart in front of his boardie "friends" would try to dispute it.

And edit...notice I said 90's drek...and you cite a book from 89.

Another edit. Team-up had ended its run by then, so wrong on that end.

Edited by Lost

On 7/7/2024 at 11:40 AM, Lost said:

I used qualifications like "make an argument", cause I knew some boardie who wants to look really smart in front of his boardie "friends" would try to dispute it.

hm

ton of variants

Lot of *2* SPIDER-MAN #1s! (Marvel/1990) **Green & Silver!** (NM Beauties!) - Picture 1 of 4

hm

And edit...notice I said 90's drek...and you cite a book from 89.

hm

On 7/6/2024 at 9:04 AM, Lost said:

started the 90's drek era

hm

Another edit. Team-up had ended its run by then, so wrong on that end.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1 CGC-SS 7.5 SIGNED STAN LEE ASM CREATOR PREMIERE ISSUE 1963 - Picture 1 of 6

MARVEL TEAM-UP #1 CGC 8.0 1st issue! Spider-Man, Human Torch, Sandman (1972)

Spectacular Spider-Man Peter Parker #1 CGC 9.8 SS Lee 1976 1406033033

Web of Spider-Man 1N Vess Newsstand Variant CGC 9.8 1985 3961555022

Lot of *2* SPIDER-MAN #1s! (Marvel/1990) **Green & Silver!** (NM Beauties!) - Picture 1 of 4

(thumbsu

MARVEL TALES #137 ( RE-PRINT OF AMAZING FANTASY #15 ) SPIDER-MAN & DR. STRANGE - Picture 1 of 12

:whistle:

On 7/6/2024 at 5:38 PM, Lightning55 said:

There was also the Platinum and Gold 2nd Print editions.  More variations If you count Direct vs. Newsstand, polybagged or loose.

Lots of #1 variations to choose from on this page:

Do people really consider a book that is still in it's poly bag and a book that's been removed from it's poly bag variants?  What next?  A NM+ variant and a VF+ variant?  :facepalm:  The more this kind of stupidity pops up, no offense to you it's just the kind of things that have popped up in the last decade or so, the more I want to find myself a new hobby.  

On 7/8/2024 at 9:06 PM, Semicentennial said:

Do people really consider a book that is still in it's poly bag and a book that's been removed from it's poly bag variants?  What next?  A NM+ variant and a VF+ variant?  :facepalm:  The more this kind of stupidity pops up, no offense to you it's just the kind of things that have popped up in the last decade or so, the more I want to find myself a new hobby.  

That's not exactly what I meant by loose. I was referring to a book produced with a polybag, and a different version also produced without it. With a way to tell the 2 apart (different price on the front cover, or no price because it was on the bag). Distinctly different printings, not just one lacking the original bag.

I normally wouldn't have a preference, or even give it consideration. But the market has determined that there may be different values, so financially speaking, you can't ignore that.

On 7/8/2024 at 6:19 PM, Lightning55 said:

That's not exactly what I meant by loose. I was referring to a book produced with a polybag, and a different version also produced without it. With a way to tell the 2 apart (different price on the front cover, or no price because it was on the bag). Distinctly different printings, not just one lacking the original bag.

I normally wouldn't have a preference, or even give it consideration. But the market has determined that there may be different values, so financially speaking, you can't ignore that.

Gotcha.  I have several copies of this book and don't remember the exact details about it.  I did a quick eBay search and saw a few "poly-bagged editions" with the price on the cover which were the same as the newsstand copy.  Not really a book for me so it doesn't really matter which has more value to me.

On 7/8/2024 at 9:41 PM, Semicentennial said:

Gotcha.  I have several copies of this book and don't remember the exact details about it.  I did a quick eBay search and saw a few "poly-bagged editions" with the price on the cover which were the same as the newsstand copy.  Not really a book for me so it doesn't really matter which has more value to me.

If you check out the mycomicshop link I provided earlier (first post on this page), they have quite a few different versions showing. At least one has no price, sine it had a big price bubble on the bag. Once it is out of the bag, it is easily confused with copies that never had a bag.