• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magazines as its own Forum
2 2

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I love me some magazines, but they already have a dedicated sub-forum in the main comic thread, putting them on equal footing and exposure with SA, BA, CA, MA, Pulps, and OA. It also puts them above PB's and HB's. This is just me, but having it's own full forum like Comics, of which all the others are part of, is a bit overkill. For the record, I do respect the genre, I just don't see them as emerging in such a way as all the others combined. Please give me time to flee before the torches and pitchforks come out. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

...plus, isn't magazine collecting more of an affliction, and something not to be encouraged? :baiting:

Edited by jimjum12

Magazines are around the forum.  They're just all over the place.  As a magazine collector, I've managed to find em all and don't really mind the scattered nature.

In the comics area (weird, yes, but there's also the fact that the comics magazines are the most popular with the comics people):

there's Non-Comics Magazines which is sort of a catch-all for mags that don't fit into other categories

and Men's Adventure Magazines for sweats and the like

or Famous Monsters which seems to catch all the other horror mags too

or there's a thread or few for Warren mags like Vampi Eerie etc or one for the Planet of the Apes mags, or there's This Week in your Collection which is another catch all (even if mostly comics mags)

or in the Pulps section, there's pulp mags (of course) and kind of a slick thread for pulp-related slicks.  True Crime mags muscle in on the detective pulp thread...

I think we're doing alright, but I agree it's not exactly logical or anything.  I guess I have the affliction in that I like all the different kinds of periodicals :baiting:

On 7/7/2024 at 7:58 PM, Darwination said:

Magazines are around the forum.  They're just all over the place.  As a magazine collector, I've managed to find em all and don't really mind the scattered nature.

In the comics area (weird, yes, but there's also the fact that the comics magazines are the most popular with the comics people):

there's Non-Comics Magazines which is sort of a catch-all for mags that don't fit into other categories

and Men's Adventure Magazines for sweats and the like

or Famous Monsters which seems to catch all the other horror mags too

or there's a thread or few for Warren mags like Vampi Eerie etc or one for the Planet of the Apes mags, or there's This Week in your Collection which is another catch all (even if mostly comics mags)

or in the Pulps section, there's pulp mags (of course) and kind of a slick thread for pulp-related slicks.  True Crime mags muscle in on the detective pulp thread...

I think we're doing alright, but I agree it's not exactly logical or anything.  I guess I have the affliction in that I like all the different kinds of periodicals :baiting:

Magazines already have their own Forum, with 32 pages of different magazine threads. GOD BLESS ... 

MAGAZINE FORUM

Well jimjum12 you're right there IS a "magazine forum" - for comic magazines.  Many other types exist (as Darwination has cogently pointed out) and are worthy of a dedicated location.I'm simply suggesting that the CGC Boards being some logic to its organizational hierarchy but its clearly a new area that's slowly evolving as a collectible.  That said, Sports Illustrated is increasingly growing as a collectible magazine, and I myself have started collecting many Special Editions of both Rolling Stone and Time for JSA/CGC signatures by famous people (as a former Film Professor at Cal State, I got connections so figured I might as well use them, lol). No pitchforks, just my $0.02 worth! Thanks CGC Mike for considering my suggestion!! ;)

On 7/15/2024 at 11:58 PM, Michael Johnson Jr., Ph.D. said:

Well jimjum12 you're right there IS a "magazine forum" - for comic magazines.  Many other types exist (as Darwination has cogently pointed out) and are worthy of a dedicated location.I'm simply suggesting that the CGC Boards being some logic to its organizational hierarchy but its clearly a new area that's slowly evolving as a collectible.  That said, Sports Illustrated is increasingly growing as a collectible magazine, and I myself have started collecting many Special Editions of both Rolling Stone and Time for JSA/CGC signatures by famous people (as a former Film Professor at Cal State, I got connections so figured I might as well use them, lol). No pitchforks, just my $0.02 worth! Thanks CGC Mike for considering my suggestion!! ;)

Well said, sir. 

It seems that CGC has included all magazines with pulps and comics to, presumably, keep all the periodicals under one umbrella. One point to note, if you are active in an area of magazines and post often, that/those threads will bump to the top and others may start to take notice. As long as non-sports cards are kept in the comic section, I doubt anything else from within that section will receive it's own new category. Personally, I find many non-comic magazines to be of interest. Life, National Geographic, Sports Illustrated, Playboy, Rolling Stone, and Discover are at the top of my list. I for one, would love to be educated by someone more knowledgeable than I. GOD BLESS ...

I would like a mint copy of the Machu Picchu of National Geographic, for example.