• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green dots on cover of new book, will it affect the grade?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hello, I purchased a book from a retailer and I noticed there were a number of tiny green dots on the cover (see photos below). It doesn't seem to be rub and just judging off different angles, it seems to be a printing issue. Just wondering if this will affect the grade if I send it in.

Untitled.png

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

It should not be a problem if it is common to this book, what book is this?, do other copies online show the same dots?

Books are graded in their entirety, however, as far as Printing/Bindery defects only...

GM 10.0 - Only the slightest bindery or printing defects are allowed.

NM 9.4 - MT 9.9 - Only subtle bindery or printing defects are allowed. 

VF/NM 9.0 to NM- 9.2 - A limited number of bindery/printing defects are allowed. 

VF 8.0 - A limited accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. 

FN/VF 7.0 -  A small accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. 

FN 6.0 - Some accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed.

The question then becomes, what is the difference between..."slightest, subtle, limited number, limited accumulation, small accumulation and some accumulation"?

On 7/8/2024 at 10:34 AM, marvelmaniac said:

It should not be a problem if it is common to this book, what book is this?, do other copies online show the same dots?

Books are graded in their entirety, however, as far as Printing/Bindery defects only...

GM 10.0 - Only the slightest bindery or printing defects are allowed.

NM 9.4 - MT 9.9 - Only subtle bindery or printing defects are allowed. 

VF/NM 9.0 to NM- 9.2 - A limited number of bindery/printing defects are allowed. 

VF 8.0 - A limited accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. 

FN/VF 7.0 -  A small accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. 

FN 6.0 - Some accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed.

The question then becomes, what is the difference between..."slightest, subtle, limited number, limited accumulation, small accumulation and some accumulation"?

I can't find any other books on eBay that have these markings. It's Penthouse #3 (Frison Black and White Cover)

There are a few copies on eBay if you want to look at them to see if those dots appear on any other issues.

Other than that, I have no idea if they are from a bindery/printing defect or something else, you will not know until the book comes back from CGC and even then there may not be any graders notes.

I do not have my books graded so I am sure of the entire CGC process.