• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading or Raw
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I’m finally grading my beloved comics that I collected as a child. Here is a sampling that I might end up selling to pay bills. 

Is it worth grading or sell Raw (will the $40ish investment be worth it)? Is there a rule of thumb? I “think” most are upwards of 7.0. 

IMG_5695.jpeg

IMG_5696.jpeg

IMG_5697.jpeg

Edited by Todd Haseyama

Great books!  I'm personally a raw collector because I like to read them.  If you listed these books in the "for sale" section of the Boards at reasonable prices, I think you'd have no problem selling many/all of them.

If I were you, I'd take a look at either/both eBay sold items for your books and GPA analysis listings.  This should give you a pretty good idea of what the books are worth when graded and you can do the math on whether you think the extra you can charge for a graded book over raw is worthwhile.  There is, of course, time and other expenses involved when sending books in for grading (such as shipping costs). 

Good luck!

Thanks Matt!! I am so attached to these … but they have been in a Mylar sleeve in a closet for decades and should probably bring joy to someone. And… I have college kids to pay for. 😆 

Great idea to look on the sale board. Just joined here so would be good to know!!!

Posted (edited)
On 7/7/2024 at 2:10 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Great books!  I'm personally a raw collector because I like to read them.  If you listed these books in the "for sale" section of the Boards at reasonable prices, I think you'd have no problem selling many/all of them.

If I were you, I'd take a look at either/both eBay sold items for your books and GPA analysis listings.  This should give you a pretty good idea of what the books are worth when graded and you can do the math on whether you think the extra you can charge for a graded book over raw is worthwhile.  There is, of course, time and other expenses involved when sending books in for grading (such as shipping costs). 

Good luck!

On 7/7/2024 at 2:12 PM, Todd Haseyama said:

Thanks Matt!! I am so attached to these … but they have been in a Mylar sleeve in a closet for decades and should probably bring joy to someone. And… I have college kids to pay for. 😆 

Great idea to look on the sale board. Just joined here so would be good to know!!!

I'll give you a quote to respond. As we have a new poster 50 post required to use the sales board here.

I wanted to tell you so as to not surprise , we had 0 post spammers private messaging people among other low post count boardies that would scam or burn bridges some other way.

You seem cheerful and not at all sly, so I say it for your piece of mind to not take it the wrong way. Who knows maybe you'll get the collecting bug again and hang around.

Anyway glad you kept some books from a while ago, idk about college payments having paid a few myself , but it should be lighter weight somehow if turned to cash instead after such a long time away.

Anyway :cheers: welcome back and welcome to the boards. ^^

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On your phone you may not be able to see your post count until you go to your profile page, on the tablet or laptop it should be just under your avatar when you post.

So to clarify, here are two of my posts to respond however to get up to 50+ and unlock the seller section.

Cheers and bless you for wanting to support kids even in higher education, as funny books are good to read as well, maybe slabbing or etc will find you a new hobby or purpose when all is paid for? 🙏