• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questions about grading/autographs at cons
1 1

27 posts in this topic

On 7/9/2024 at 10:04 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

not to mention that you might need cash for the artist and a cc for everything else, if that wasn't "obvious", so a mixture of funds and payments etc.

I knew when you had asked, there were a lot of variables, hopefully the scope is broadened to account for what could be :cheers: 

Of course! I've met people like Christopher Lloyd, Dave Foley, Wayne Knight, and Will Friedle, so "This ain't my first rodeo," but like I said at the top, comics are a whole different animal for me, and if I'm going to get comic sig. authenticity done, I wanna do it right 

On 7/9/2024 at 6:42 AM, dbcn said:

which arguably should be the same price across the board regardless of what type of media being signed

(thumbsu

On 7/9/2024 at 6:42 AM, dbcn said:

but the market is dictating the prices more than anything else.

hm

:shiftyeyes:

On 7/9/2024 at 9:42 AM, dbcn said:

Same - most guests imx are very friendly, but I just didn't want you to be surprised if there was a small white board with a 'CGC Sig +$20' scrawled on it in marker on their table. Not sure what the rationale for the upcharge is tbh, but not every guest does it so (shrug)

As far as 'price discrimination' ... I doubt there's much legal ground there given that prices range widely anyway (sometimes: free! Todd McFarlane: not free) and often guests will charge a different rate based on what the physical item is (funko, comic book, Star Wars comic book) - in the end all you're really getting is a signature, which arguably should be the same price across the board regardless of what type of media being signed, but the market is dictating the prices more than anything else.

fwiw, my first in-person signing experience was NYCC and that was a total sh*tshow: Unless it's someone specific I'm looking to actually meet in person, I'm more than happy to pay the facilitator fees, send in or drop off the book and have them manage the whole process, and focus on walking around & enjoying the show.

Regardless - enjoy the show & I'd love to see the signed book once it's back @Pixarlover273!

@dbcn I finally gathered the courage and gloves to open the bag and do this. I've been studying some of the signs to look for, and I found: the waviness common in modern Marvel comics, a white spine from shipping, and a small crease on the bottom right corner. Otherwise, everything is clean, the edges are sharp, no missing pages. I don't think there's any spine ticks or thunb-press bends but it's possible I missed them. I hope I haven't incurred any damage by doing this, and I apologize in advance for only taking pictures with my phone. Let me know what you think. Be gentle 😅

20240717_232829.jpg

20240717_232836.jpg

20240717_232858.jpg

20240717_232937.jpg

20240717_233008.jpg

20240717_233031.jpg

20240717_233032.jpg

20240717_233034.jpg

20240717_233044.jpg

20240717_233057.jpg

20240717_233101.jpg