• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Berkeley Comic Show--Saturday, August 3rd. With Bigman/Carter/Plant...
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Our second summer show is coming right up. We again have old school icons Gary Carter and Larry Bigman setting up, pulling stuff out of long term storage. This time they are joined by their old pal Bud Plant and of course the whole gang of great NorCal sellers plus a few from SoCal. Should be a few people selling their collections too.

NEW LOCATION AT WEST CAMPUS GYM--only four blocks from our previous location. 1222 University, but enter the parking lot on the east side, via Browning Street.

Details: berkeleycomicshow.com (includes enlargeable map of the new location)

Right off the highway, big free parking lot (sometimes with pizza truck) and also just a few blocks from North Berkeley BART.

Can't make it? We do five a year--next one will be end of October or early November.

Edited by HouseofComics.Com
location change!

Ray, thank you for posting that! It's been a hell of a week!

So, the new location is a bit more spacious, also has a big parking lot, and is only four blocks from our regular site. So it's the same distance from the freeway or BART. We will have the adult school staffed to send any wayward people over to the new location.

Glad I could make it out.  Location was great with ample free parking.  Not sure how I feel about the space given the old Adult School had the stage area that could be used for creator signings or additional vendor booths.  I did overhear from one vendor that they felt attendance was lighter and sales were slower for them.  But then I talked to another vendor who said sales were good.  I will say, there were fewer big keys in the room than I was expecting.  I feel you usually come across a few AF15's or X-Men 1's or something along those lines, but I really didn't see many.  What I did see were more reasonably priced keys.  I ended up buying some minor modern keys.  The real winner was what was in the dollar bins though.  Most of the books I bought were from the dollar bins and helped fill gaps in series I already own.  Walked away with more books than I expected, but spent less than I intended.  That's a win-win for me.  Enjoyable show as always.

Sorry I missed this. Banged my knee on cement. Got "quadriceps contusion" - all pretty colors and such. Spent a week resting, ice, later heat etc. Bruising gone and felt ok so went to work and next morning looked like a ziploc bag filled with water was on my kneecap. Yeesh! (knee effusion). Hopefully next time. Marc sounded like he had some cool stuff there.

On 8/5/2024 at 12:14 AM, ExNihilo said:

Glad I could make it out.  Location was great with ample free parking.  Not sure how I feel about the space given the old Adult School had the stage area that could be used for creator signings or additional vendor booths.  I did overhear from one vendor that they felt attendance was lighter and sales were slower for them.  But then I talked to another vendor who said sales were good.  I will say, there were fewer big keys in the room than I was expecting.  I feel you usually come across a few AF15's or X-Men 1's or something along those lines, but I really didn't see many.  What I did see were more reasonably priced keys.  I ended up buying some minor modern keys.  The real winner was what was in the dollar bins though.  Most of the books I bought were from the dollar bins and helped fill gaps in series I already own.  Walked away with more books than I expected, but spent less than I intended.  That's a win-win for me.  Enjoyable show as always.

(thumbsu 

dang, stupid stomach bug kept me home- exactly what I was hoping to do.

We hadn't used the stage for about a year, so I'm not sure how big a deal not having it is. I think the bleachers are a nice touch so people can actually sit for a few minutes and break up the hours of standing looking through boxes. Nice to be standing on wood and not concrete as well. I would say that we can fit more books into this West Campus location as it's just a touch bigger room but also we don't have to deal with kitchen, piano, coke machine against the wall, etc.

Bud Plant brought a lot of dollar boxes, which was new. Attendance was same as last August. Almost everyone said sales were good but there are always a few who kind of randomly have a below average show.

Hopefully we can set the date pretty soon for our final show of the year. Aiming for the last Saturday of October.