• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dick Tracy 9.0 grade how to price
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I have a Dick Tracy comic from 1960 which received a 9.0 grade.  It has an extremely low pop count so I have no idea how to price it for sale.  Thanks for any help.

Hi Tom.  It's difficult to price books like this. 

I typically go to GPA and look for the issue and if there's little data look at other issues in the run that are of similar age.  I'll typically also go to the CGC census to see if I have the highest graded copy and to see how many copies of that issue have been graded.  I often will also go to Grand Comics Database or Coverbrowser of mycomicshop to see if any of the books have more compelling covers or work by more popular artists or any factor that might affect the value of one book over another.

So if I guess you have Dick Tracy Monthly #145 I see a 9.4 file copy sold for $72 in 2013.  That's a long time ago and not timely data  If I look at the preceding issue, #144, I see a 9.2 sold for $99 in 2022.  If I look at issue #143 I see a 9.6 sold for $480 in 2022.  If I look at the CGC census I see that the #143 in 9.6 is the highest graded copy and the 9.2 copy of #144 is also the highest graded copy.  I went to mycomicshop and looked at the books and frankly they're all similar in cover desirability and contributors.  Now all I can do is look at the limited data and guestimate a value of $75 to $100 for a book like #145.

On 7/14/2024 at 3:40 PM, Tom Ba said:

Thanks for the reply it is much appreciated.

Welcome   It's also a good idea to think about who might buy this book from you.  It's too high grade to really sell to a reader  It isn't a key or a book with a classic cover and if we're gonna be honest with ourselves it's a relatively low demand book.  It's high enough grade it might just sell to someone who likes high grade older books or it might sell to a high grade Tracy collector.  I went to the registry and there are currently only 3 Dick Tracy registry sets.  None of them appear to be anywhere near completion or realistically a set the set owner is working passionately on   I'd be temped to message each one and ask if they're interested at somewhere around $100.  The value is there because it could be the highest graded copy and even if they found a high grade raw copy they'd have to spend the time and money to get it graded 

https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/SetTypesByKeyword.aspx?keyword=dick+tracy

Data might be limited, so I’d get a sampling of other similar issues sales surrounding that issue.  Make adjustments for grade and populations, should be able to estimate.