• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Missing piece near top staple - VG 4.5? (Detective Comics #341)
1 1

7 posts in this topic

So, I have this Swedish reprint of Detective Comics #341 (Läderlappen nr 2 1966). Overall a really nice presenting book in my opinion, but it's got this heartbreaking flaw near the top staple. As you can see there's a tiny 2x1mm piece missing. I really can't say if it was a production, that someone at some point peeled off. The book hasn't been worked on (clean/press).

If VG+ 4.5 is what it is, it's not the end of the world. I'm likely keeping the book raw anyways. What's your take on it? Provided photos of front and back and some of the problem areas I can see. Hope the quality is good enough.

All input greatly appreciated,
JensBV9

IMG_2978_rz.jpg

IMG_2979_rz.jpg

IMG_2980_rz.jpg

IMG_2981_rz.jpg

IMG_2982_rz.jpg

IMG_2983_rz.jpg

IMG_2984_rz.jpg

IMG_2985_rz.jpg

IMG_2986_rz.jpg

Posted (edited)
On 7/18/2024 at 3:12 AM, scburdet said:

I believe this piece out is small enough to max out around 6.0/6.5.

Thanks for your input. Slightly higher than I anticipated, which of course is a good thing. 

Edited by JensBV9

Looking at the Official CGC Guide to grading comics the range for a comic with a missing piece is 0.5 to 9.8. So it really comes down to the size, location and probably if it impacts the structure of the book. That missing piece is small (but not tiny), mostly only visible on the back cover, and at the spine, but it is near a staple. The book has other flaws but mostly looks really good. I do think 6.5 is quite reasonable.

On 7/18/2024 at 4:53 PM, Cerebus3000 said:

Looking at the Official CGC Guide to grading comics the range for a comic with a missing piece is 0.5 to 9.8. So it really comes down to the size, location and probably if it impacts the structure of the book. That missing piece is small (but not tiny), mostly only visible on the back cover, and at the spine, but it is near a staple. The book has other flaws but mostly looks really good. I do think 6.5 is quite reasonable.

I would agree that the book isn’t without its flaws. I’m glad the overall appeal makes you say 6.5-ish. It feels really nice in hand and without the missing piece I wouldn’t hesitate to call VF 8.0.