• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Damaged Comicbook Slabs
2 2

8 posts in this topic

Hi all, Comicbook Slab shelf just and cracked the corners of 4 of my slabs. Can they be re-slabbed or do I have to resubmit them and subject them to be graded again? 

On 7/17/2024 at 5:21 PM, mindagenda said:

Hi all, Comicbook Slab shelf just and cracked the corners of 4 of my slabs. Can they be re-slabbed or do I have to resubmit them and subject them to be graded again? 

Just resubmit them online as reholders and state that they were damaged. Also, it never hurts to call them and ask for their opinion. Last time I did this it took 7-10 days to get it back. 

It sounds like a corner of 4 slabs got cracked, or is it multiple corners? 

If it is obvious that the comic could not have been removed from the slab, no opening large enough, then you could likely send them in for reholders. If CGC determines that the comics may have sustained damage as a result of the cracking force, they can reserve the right to re-grade them at your cost.

Check with CS for advice. 

Edited by Lightning55

On 7/18/2024 at 3:42 AM, mindagenda said:

It was the corner of four slabs. Nothing big enough to remove any of the books that wouldn’t absolutely destroy the book. 

I'd look on the CGC company website to see what the policies/processes/qualifications are for reholdering/regrading CGC slabs, if any.  And if the CGC website is not clear, I would contact CGC customer service and talk to CGC employees to ask about the specifics about what CGC services CGC might be able to offer you with regards to the specific situation with your CGC slabs.  CGC policies do change (and hopefully improve) over time, and the answers given by random internet strangers might be conflicting, or outdated, or misremembered, or might not apply directly to the specific situation of any random internet question.  

On 7/18/2024 at 3:42 AM, mindagenda said:

It was the corner of four slabs. Nothing big enough to remove any of the books that wouldn’t absolutely destroy the book. 

You won't be charged for any of this when sending them back to CGC for regrading. I think you have about 30 days when you received the slabs in the mail to resubmit for a free reholder. I would just call CGC and tell them what happened and they will guide you on what to do next. The postage to them and return label will all be covered too. It is worth it because you will constantly look at the damaged corner and it will bug you. I'm sure most of us on have been in your shoes too. 

On 7/20/2024 at 12:49 AM, BbqP.Bun85 said:

You won't be charged for any of this when sending them back to CGC for regrading. I think you have about 30 days when you received the slabs in the mail to resubmit for a free reholder. I would just call CGC and tell them what happened and they will guide you on what to do next. The postage to them and return label will all be covered too. It is worth it because you will constantly look at the damaged corner and it will bug you. I'm sure most of us on have been in your shoes too. 

They didn't arrive cracked. He cracked them. This advice won't apply at all.