• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price sticker.
2 2

9 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if the CGC cleaning processors can/will remove price stickers from covers?
And how does this affect the grade? And would it be classed as restoration?
Thanks.

Edited by Redshade

Consider contacting cgc customer service to ask about the specific services that cgc provides

On 7/22/2024 at 7:09 PM, Redshade said:

Does anyone know if the CGC cleaning processors can/will remove price stickers from covers?
Thanks.

Look at the inside cover directly behind where the sticker is. If the paper directly under the sticker has formed a translucent circle that makes the underlying paper look more like an onionskin, removing the sticker is not a great idea. Even if removed successfully, an ugly circular blemish will mar the cover where the sticker was, the degree of how badly it impacts the attractiveness of the cover relative to how light the affected area is. IMO, a sticker looks far more natural and tolerable than the ugly stain left behind on the paper damaged by the glue and aging if present. 

Edited by Kirby_Fan

I do not know if CGC offers sticker removal in-house, but would like to know if you follow up with them so please let us know what you find out.

Stickers vary in terms of manufacture and their long-term effects on comics so your outcome may differ depending on the type of sticker and how long it's been on the comic, as well as storage conditions.  Some stickers can be removed without any trace at all.  I have a video on my youtube channel demonstrating the method i use to remove them:

Some stickers will have already had the adhesive penetrate the paper and will leave behind a stain as @Kirby_Fan points out.  For me personally i would rather have the stain than the sticker generally, and sticker removal prevents further degradation of the paper by continued migration of adhesive into the paper which ultimately results in yellowing, embrittlement, and destruction of the paper.

Sticker removal should not ever result in a restored designation from CGC, unless the material or method used to remove the sticker was poorly applied and itself triggered the restored designation.  Scraping, heat, cold, and solvents have all been used to successfully remove stickers and tape from comic book covers without triggering the restored designation from CGC.

Good luck!

• Administrator

Thanks.

Here is a screenshot from our website that mentions tape removal, I believe that a sticker may fall in this category as well.  I recommend asking customer service before submitting.  

image.png

On 7/25/2024 at 12:29 PM, Paul Kosnik said:

I do not know if CGC offers sticker removal in-house, but would like to know if you follow up with them so please let us know what you find out.

Stickers vary in terms of manufacture and their long-term effects on comics so your outcome may differ depending on the type of sticker and how long it's been on the comic, as well as storage conditions.  Some stickers can be removed without any trace at all.  I have a video on my youtube channel demonstrating the method i use to remove them:

Some stickers will have already had the adhesive penetrate the paper and will leave behind a stain as @Kirby_Fan points out.  For me personally i would rather have the stain than the sticker generally, and sticker removal prevents further degradation of the paper by continued migration of adhesive into the paper which ultimately results in yellowing, embrittlement, and destruction of the paper.

Sticker removal should not ever result in a restored designation from CGC, unless the material or method used to remove the sticker was poorly applied and itself triggered the restored designation.  Scraping, heat, cold, and solvents have all been used to successfully remove stickers and tape from comic book covers without triggering the restored designation from CGC.

Good luck!

Thank you for this detailed answer. I don't think that weighing up the costs I am going to go down this road.

Thanks.

What is the issue you are considering? In rare cases, price stickers are actually desirable...

On 7/26/2024 at 12:20 AM, PeterPark said:

What is the issue you are considering? In rare cases, price stickers are actually desirable...

I've decide to leave the sticker alone. Thank you for your input.