• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pittsburg Comicon

5 posts in this topic

Just a note to let everyone know how i felt about my day at the pittsburg comicon.

First off, the whole zombie/dawn of the dead angle was fun. i went on the mall tour and me and my wife and son met some zombies. nothin better than a four year old tellin an actor that it couldnt have been him in the movie cause the guy in the movie was young and he is too old!! i almost died laughing!

anyhow, as far as comics go i had a list of stuff to buy. i bought VERY little. i wanted an ASM 101 in high grade. the closest i came to high grade was F/VF and the guy wanted 100 for it. not feeling like offering 40 or so (what i felt it was worth) i left. most of the rest were junk or ultra high priced. i looked for both Ghost rider #1 and Marvel Spotlight 5. The cheapest copies i found were VF and VF+ for a little over 100 a piece. then I found a 9.2 GR #1 for 400 (CGC graded). And it goes on for me. it seems anything in VF or better was over book by a huge margin. Dont get me wrong, i will negotiate with anyone. but when you are at such a ridiculous starting price, then why waste my time. these were the low point of the day. the high points... well Joe Linsner is a great guy. I got a Dawn #1 look sharp edition signed and a hardcover for Dawn Return of the Goddess which he did a full page ink sketch in of Dawns face. really a nice sketch. Also Tim Vigil was there. I am a huge fan of his art. so I grabbed an ink faust sketch and he also had the rough sketch for the cover of Faust #13 for sale so I grabbed it!! Here is a scan of most of it. It goes to the framers tomorrow. By the way, does anyone have a guess what this might be worth on the open (ebay) market? i dont want to sell it but its cool to know.

Faust #13 cover rough sketch!!

This will probably be much more valueable when Faust 13 actually comes out grin.gif

other than that i got a few xmen (uncanny) which i paid too much for and a huge (about 3 feet) american godzilla (fraudzilla) action figure toy for my son (75 buck for a big action figure, what is this world comin too?) and a godzilla #1 probably about an 8.5 for the boy as well.

so in closing...

alot of posters here seem to be awaiting an impending market crash due to too many titles, CGC grading, etc etc. After today it seems that the dealers at this con are just the opposite and are pricing the books that they have like they have golden staples. so are we just spoiled by Ebay, or is the market gonna go up some more (alot more) before it does come back down.

Oh by the way, laugh of the day, CGC 9.4 graded Iron Fist 14 (my fetish book) for a mere 500 dollars. and the cat had a sign as big as possible listing the grade and the price like it was an uber-bargain.

right.

#13 will probably be ready by 2004 Pittsburg con.

your being a bit of an optimist arent you?

they said 13 was almost done... so maybe in late 05 early 06. tongue.gif

actually this is my sons college fund. he is four now!!! grin.gif

glad you think its cool though. makes me feel like i didnt waste the whole day, i got something for my time anyhow.

I agree with you on the pricing thing though I did drop quite a considerable amount of money to get some books that I wanted. Now that I have blown my wad so to speak I don't know if I'll go again Sunday. I just don't think the show is worth it unless you are looking to buy comics. Maybe I can meet some boardmembers there and we can go across the parking lot to the mall for lunch. Any takers?

Ericc123