• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Plastic wrap
2 2

10 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if I send a magazine with the original plastic wrap that it was mailed in do they remove it to grade and encase it?  I have the last Nintendo Power I want graded but the plastic wrap holds in the poster and the farewell letter and I never opened it.

With comics, if you send it in an original bag, they will remove it from the bag so they can grade the book. 

I assume it's the same for magazines. 

@CGC Mike can confirm.  

If that is the case - it may be wise to remove the magazine from the bag yourself and inspect the condition before sending. 

• Administrator

It was my understanding that we would need written permission before we can remove it from the bag.  However, I recommend asking customer service to confirm.  

I do not have my books graded, however, from everything I have read on the boards about polybagged books is that any extras that are included in a polybag but are loose and not an actual part of the book itself (such as posters, cassette tapes, cards, etc.) will not be returned to you if sent in to CGC, including the bag.

If you plan on having the magazine graded, IMO, you should carefully remove the magazine from the bag removing all extra's and saving them, do not send them in to CGC.

If you want everything together as it came from the manufacturer leave it in the bag and enjoy the book/extra's as is.

If you do decide to send it in for grading, be sure to take clear/sharp pics of the book before sending it in and inspect it for any creases/damage that may be present from the seam in the polybag, if there is any creasing you may want to have the book pressed.

throwing this out there because to me it is related:

Dungeons & Dragons modules are graded with the original packaging intact (see adventure module B4 below), I wonder why this doesn't happen with magazines and comics that are still in their original packaging?

AD&D module B4 graded.jpeg

Edited by Artboy99

On 7/26/2024 at 5:54 PM, Artboy99 said:

throwing this out there because to me it is related:

Dungeons & Dragons modules are graded with the original packaging intact (see adventure module B4 below), I wonder why this doesn't happen with magazines and comics that are still in their original packaging?

AD&D module B4 graded.jpeg

A comic can't be graded if if can't be examined for defects.  That can't be done if it's still in a poly bag.

On 7/26/2024 at 7:26 PM, GawkHawk said:

A comic can't be graded if if can't be examined for defects.  That can't be done if it's still in a poly bag.

Yes, but then why can the AD&D module be graded while sealed? It contains a booklet interior and while magazine sized resembles a comic with interior text and art.

On 7/26/2024 at 11:01 PM, Artboy99 said:

Yes, but then why can the AD&D module be graded while sealed? It contains a booklet interior and while magazine sized resembles a comic with interior text and art.

They can obviously only grade the box and have to assume the contents are in similar condition since they are within a semi-rigid box.  There's a lot that can happen to a comic in a poly bag.  It can be bent or folded, producing creases and spine tics.  Those can't be graded if they can't be seen.  It's just different grading criteria.

On 7/27/2024 at 5:06 AM, GawkHawk said:

They can obviously only grade the box and have to assume the contents are in similar condition since they are within a semi-rigid box.  There's a lot that can happen to a comic in a poly bag.  It can be bent or folded, producing creases and spine tics.  Those can't be graded if they can't be seen.  It's just different grading criteria.

Modules are not in a box. They are cover stock around the interior. My point is they are very much like magazines/comics and can have any number of things happen that can cause damage such as spine tics and creases.

Edited by Artboy99

On 7/26/2024 at 11:01 PM, Artboy99 said:

Yes, but then why can the AD&D module be graded while sealed? 

It shouldn't.

They gave that book a 9.2 and have no idea what's going on inside.

But it's still easier than this:

Screenshot_20240806_073754_Google.jpg.012f35942b326fdd0e620349d5471e0f.jpg

Edited by Sigur Ros