• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Consistency?
2 2

2 posts in this topic

Does anyone notice inconsistent grading? I've gotten books back that should be lower than 9.8 (in my opinion) that end up 9.8 and vise versa. I have books with visible defects graded at 9.8 and visually flawless books (to me) graded at 9.6 or lower. It makes me question why I'm bothering to invest in grading my books. I've only got 20 books graded, but they've all been done since April this year. I don't  complain about the wait times, I get that. What bothers me is that out of the 20 books I have to use as reference, I dont feel like I even have 1 definitive reference to represent a 9.8 cuz all my 9.8s are different! I'd like to know the inside story about CGC and what graders have to do in order to be considered trained in grading. It literally feels like there's a different person grading all my books and it's frustrating. I'd like to know what they use as references and have as guidelines for graders. Is there any information around outlining any of this stuff cuz I'd love to read it? I've heard things about CGC and I just wanna know the truth. I've not been very happy with what comes back. It's really hard for me to believe a book I bought day 1 at at my lcs and looks immaculate, has been bagged 2 times comes back a 9.4 but a book I've had in my collection since 1992, that I bought as a year old back issue, that has been handled and transferred to different bags and boards comes back a 9.8 Has anyone else not been happy? Is it just a bad time at CGC? What the hell is all I wanna know.

Thank you in advance.

On 7/27/2024 at 6:43 PM, Danimal66 said:

I'd like to know what they use as references and have as guidelines for graders. Is there any information around outlining any of this stuff cuz I'd love to read it?

There's a published CGC Grading Guide available as a hardcover or softcover. https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/10586/cgc-guide-grading-comics-nelson/

Try to stay awake as you make your way through it. Lots of coffee.