• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To tape, or not to tape. That is the question.

6 posts in this topic

I have an ASM #4 that has bits of the cover actually cut off (like the bottom right corner of the cover).  I don't have the top part at all - just bits of the bottom.  The cover itself is also detached from the book.

Should I tape the pieces of the cover back on, or just leave them off?  Common sense tells me it's better to have more of the cover than less, but I wanted to ask here first.  :)

ASM4.thumb.jpg.2394c2bf7ee5336cdc2fd177464459a5.jpg

I am in the minority here as I am old school and have no problems with tape, I been collecting since 65 and tape was the norm. I have taped many a low grade book to keep  the condition of the book from getting worse when handled, IE: Pieces falling off, tears, spine splits, chipping, etc.

If it is grading you are concerned about, don't be, tape will not affect the grade of a book in GD 2.0 or lower, CGC ignores the tape and grades the book on what the tape is attempting to repair, in this case you are already at a FR 1.0 so, IMO,  tape will help to prevent it from becoming a PR 0.5.

https://www.amazon.com/Lineco-Archival-Document-Repair-Tape/dp/B000P8FT2G/ref=sr_1_5?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.EgRWmL1nQ1sU3j9juVVHC6T4FySjhKB4H1fFAwjdj6ZCCg1VtP1fTqTD4g4iIGWWsX_maiCu5eSyqupwDlxw2MJwb10nCAWD3As-EBGZroC4oCdVrbLa7F3akk8PdqHniT9xZ45jr2iNujgNVa7lFo7TNCrzrGVyk1Yq0UR8eiUFglnVMB8P9FQqEDERqiJFa_GEmHjth7GqbEIF0MffK3WgBll4-rEjpbTtzwwSEESQRgnv8u6hreBwm2bAcNquQknIU4PtbgHr_GHtG0mRk1hLUcl1pLhrOODZjEIkKME.Qpbrl_kruZ5NmYLPI4GxJK369uHPneWn-r6Z6OmIH40&dib_tag=se&keywords=archival%2Btape&qid=1722624915&sr=8-5&th=1

Tape, Tape and more Tape.

Daredevil 1 FR 1.0.JPG

On another note... I would get rid of the Poly Bag and use a Mylite and Acid Free Board for this book (or any book worth keeping for that matter)

I check the FMV of my top books (200 out of 2000) every 6 month's just for giggles and have been since 2015, as of January 2024 FMV (based on eBay sold Auctions) for ASM 4 in PR 0.5 was $300.00.

Amazing Spider-Man - 4 PR 0.5.JPG

Good advice here already. 

My opinion is always "don't tape". 

That said, it is a low grade book and as @marvelmaniac mentioned, it won't really hurt anything. The value and grade won't be moved. It shouldn't get a restored label. 

If you do decide to tape, there is archival tape you can use. You might want to check with cgc to make sure that type of tape isn't considered resto. 

Good luck